What does "+=" mean in COMSOL equations?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi! I wanted to quickly ask what the += symbol means that shows up in the equations of a few physics nodes in the semiconductor module (i.e. dissipation, electron potential energy). Is it similar to programming? So that A += dA/dt would mean A = A + dA/dt? I've provided an image of it showing up in the equation for a dissipation node for the schrödinger equation here.

Thanks for your time!

Edit: Unfortunately it appears to me that my image isn't loading in. Here is the URL of the uploaded image https://imgur.com/a/3RAP7yU

But I can also just write it out here: where Number of wave function components

1 Reply Last Post Sep 16, 2024, 7:59 a.m. EDT
Lipeng Liu COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 21 hours ago Sep 16, 2024, 7:59 a.m. EDT

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your question! Yes, the += symbol in COMSOL Multiphysics functions similarly to its usage in programming—it indicates that the term on the right-hand side is added as a contribution to the existing value.

Regards, Lipeng

Hi Robert, Thanks for your question! Yes, the += symbol in COMSOL Multiphysics functions similarly to its usage in programming—it indicates that the term on the right-hand side is added as a contribution to the existing value. Regards, Lipeng

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.