How to limit maximum temperature in heat transfer in solids

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello. I'm simulating microwave heating.

I'm simulating SiC susceptor heating situation with microwave heating, heat transfer in solids.

SiC susceptor I use melts when the temperature reaches over 1200 degree but the temperature distribution of simulation results show SiC susceptor reaching over 2000 degree.

Is there any method to limit maximum temperature of material? I appreciate any advice. Thank you.

2 Replies Last Post Oct 1, 2024, 3:51 a.m. EDT

Posted: 3 weeks ago Sep 30, 2024, 4:23 p.m. EDT

According to the web, SiC doesn't melt, it sublimates, and starts to do so far above 1200 C.

Comsol can only solve the equations with the material constants and boundary conditions you give it. The basic equations in the heat transfer module do not include melting or sublimation (although there's a module for that).

According to the web, SiC doesn't melt, it sublimates, and starts to do so far above 1200 C. Comsol can only solve the equations with the material constants and boundary conditions you give it. The basic equations in the heat transfer module do not include melting or sublimation (although there's a module for that).

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 weeks ago Oct 1, 2024, 3:51 a.m. EDT

An obvious option is to adjust the input power of the model to reach the desired temperature. This can be done in a conventional way, e.g. in a parametric study. You may also implement additional equations that perform like a PID controller to automate that. There are certainly other options.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
An obvious option is to adjust the input power of the model to reach the desired temperature. This can be done in a conventional way, e.g. in a parametric study. You may also implement additional equations that perform like a PID controller to automate that. There are certainly other options. Cheers Edgar

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.