Hexahedral meshing for embedded 3D geometries

Andreu Pascuet Fontanet

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

While there is a Free Quadrilateral feature for meshing 2D geometry domains, there is no such feature for hexahedral meshes in 3D geometry domains.

You could use the Swept feature in simple 3D geometries where there are no objects between two faces, for which you can define a mapped boundary quadrilateral mesh. However, I am dealing with a more complex geometry: I have a cube inside which I have generated 11 randomly distributed spheres that do not touch each other.

How can I get a hexahedral mesh for a geometry with embedded entities? For the cube, I could partition the domain by the boundaries of the spheres, but this becomes very time consuming due to the high number of embedded entities, plus the inside of the spheres would still be meshed with tetrahedral elements.

Thanks for your comments!

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.