Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Split Ring Resonator!!!

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

Iam trying to design a Split Ring Resonator(a spiral ) for my project. Iam struggling with it, as iam very new to comsol.

Can any one help me how to start with it. To add more it has to have a inner circle too.

2 Replies Last Post Dec 19, 2013, 1:09 a.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 27, 2013, 11:51 a.m. EST
It sounds like this might be your first experience with comsol, so I know it can be intimidating. Basically, you'll want to use the "geometry" subnode to draw what you want as your first step.

What I do is define a "block" of the dimensions of a unit cell, and whose thickness is equal to my substrate thickness.

Then i use "work plane" goemetry feature to draw on the top (and/or bottom) surfaces exactly the trace pattern I want. In your case, it's a spiral. I think the "parametric" surface might be a way for you to do that...but spirals in 2D can be hard since unlike 3D there's no built in spiral feature (there's a helix feature for 3D).

You can also use your favorite CAD software to draw what you want and save it in a file type that comsol allows for import...

After that you'll want to assign material properties and boundary conditions for whatever problem you're trying to solve....

Hope that helps for a start!

--matt
It sounds like this might be your first experience with comsol, so I know it can be intimidating. Basically, you'll want to use the "geometry" subnode to draw what you want as your first step. What I do is define a "block" of the dimensions of a unit cell, and whose thickness is equal to my substrate thickness. Then i use "work plane" goemetry feature to draw on the top (and/or bottom) surfaces exactly the trace pattern I want. In your case, it's a spiral. I think the "parametric" surface might be a way for you to do that...but spirals in 2D can be hard since unlike 3D there's no built in spiral feature (there's a helix feature for 3D). You can also use your favorite CAD software to draw what you want and save it in a file type that comsol allows for import... After that you'll want to assign material properties and boundary conditions for whatever problem you're trying to solve.... Hope that helps for a start! --matt

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 19, 2013, 1:09 a.m. EST
Respected sir,
I am R.Karthik raja pursuing my M.Tech. I am doing my final year project on Split ring resonator in COMSOL. I am finding difficult to build it in it and it will be useful if someone provides step by step process for building it.
Respected sir, I am R.Karthik raja pursuing my M.Tech. I am doing my final year project on Split ring resonator in COMSOL. I am finding difficult to build it in it and it will be useful if someone provides step by step process for building it.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.