Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Determining resonant frequency

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

When trying to determine resonant frequencies of a piezoelectric transducer how would you go about that using the frequency domain study?

1 Reply Last Post Feb 28, 2013, 3:11 p.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 28, 2013, 3:11 p.m. EST
Hi

My suggestion is that you start with an eigenfrequency solver, to get the frequencies of the different main modes,

Thenyou run a frequency sweep, as you need to give a range for the frequency steps, and you must make these steps smaller around the resonances to catch them correctly.
I mostly use logarithmic ranges of the type 10^range(-2,1,4) or whatever fits, but then I combine several "range()" step rapidly up to -5% (below) the eigenfrequency andthen by step regularly up to +5% (above) the eigenfrequencies, then rapid steps again to next mode etc

If you have some damping its worth to plot real and imag part or amplitude and phase (and I usually plot in log scale or even log-log scale

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi My suggestion is that you start with an eigenfrequency solver, to get the frequencies of the different main modes, Thenyou run a frequency sweep, as you need to give a range for the frequency steps, and you must make these steps smaller around the resonances to catch them correctly. I mostly use logarithmic ranges of the type 10^range(-2,1,4) or whatever fits, but then I combine several "range()" step rapidly up to -5% (below) the eigenfrequency andthen by step regularly up to +5% (above) the eigenfrequencies, then rapid steps again to next mode etc If you have some damping its worth to plot real and imag part or amplitude and phase (and I usually plot in log scale or even log-log scale -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.