Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

error in statonary analysis of a biased resonator

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear comsol community,
I'm working on comsol4.2a , I would be glad if i can get a solution for my following two queries:

1) I have gone through the modelling instructions given in the 'Stationary Analysis of a Biased Resonator' doc. and after computation i found a following error which is difficult to interpret ,
'FAILED TO FIND A SOLUTION,
MAXIMUM nUMBER OF nEWTON ITERATIONS REACHEAD.
RETURN SOLUTION IS NOT CONVERGED.
-feature: stationary solver1(sol1/s1)
-error: failed to find a solution.

2) Is it possible to excite the cantilever beam and find the frequency modes and plot the graph of frequency vs. DC Bias
as in mems module doc. it is the fixed-fixed beam which is considered.

3 Replies Last Post Mar 20, 2013, 4:22 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 4, 2013, 2:17 p.m. EST
Hi

if I remember right most coupled DC + AC (harmnc) excitation solver settings (pre-cooked) came in 4.3 or 4.3a, so you need to define, I believe, the solver settings yourself (and you need the "harmonic load" sub nodes)

The fialed to conerge often comes from initial solution (default all "0") too far from the true final solution, but there might be other BC conditions that are too tough

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if I remember right most coupled DC + AC (harmnc) excitation solver settings (pre-cooked) came in 4.3 or 4.3a, so you need to define, I believe, the solver settings yourself (and you need the "harmonic load" sub nodes) The fialed to conerge often comes from initial solution (default all "0") too far from the true final solution, but there might be other BC conditions that are too tough -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 12, 2013, 6:15 a.m. EDT
Thanks sir, for your reply.
I'm was able to overcome error in stationary analysis given in comsol 4.2a model..I need to draw structures of the beam in 2D and 3D on my own along with defining actuation electrodes,materials ,boundaries etc. can u help me in knowing how these structures with desired dimensions can be drawn in comsol.
Regards
Thanks sir, for your reply. I'm was able to overcome error in stationary analysis given in comsol 4.2a model..I need to draw structures of the beam in 2D and 3D on my own along with defining actuation electrodes,materials ,boundaries etc. can u help me in knowing how these structures with desired dimensions can be drawn in comsol. Regards

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 20, 2013, 4:22 p.m. EDT
Hi

first of all it's best to start in 2D, it solves quicker, and it's easier to debug, once you master everything, it's worth to go to 3D

to draw in 3D it is often handy to define a workplane, draw a 2D cut view and extrude into 3D, or to use the shape objects or both methods. Compared to advanced CAD tools, COMSOL has a limited set, but a rather well written geometrical section, one can do a lot and correct imported geometries too

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi first of all it's best to start in 2D, it solves quicker, and it's easier to debug, once you master everything, it's worth to go to 3D to draw in 3D it is often handy to define a workplane, draw a 2D cut view and extrude into 3D, or to use the shape objects or both methods. Compared to advanced CAD tools, COMSOL has a limited set, but a rather well written geometrical section, one can do a lot and correct imported geometries too -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.