Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Connecting concentric windings in inductor using periodic condition - Problem

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm working on an inductor model which has more than one concentric layer of winding. For this problem I have the most simple case with two concentric layers of windings. I'm using the induction heating interface.

The two windings have each two connectors, lets call them In1, Out1, In2 and Out2. Since the coils are concentric, In1 and In2 are located next to each other and the same thing goes for Out1 and Out2. I excite the coils at In1 and then use a "Periodic Condition" between Out1 and Out2 with Out2 as the destination so that the current flows In1 > Out1 > Out2 > In2.

For this case, the currents will be exactly opposite inside the windings, resulting in a lot of field cancellations. However, i would like for them to run in the same direction so that the cancellations occur between the windings instead. But setting the Periodic Condition between Out1 and In2 with In2 as the destination results in the same case as before (the currents flow in opposite direction in the windings).

I've also tried rotating one of the coils 180 degrees so that In1 and In2 are on the opposite sides (the same for Out1 and Out2 of course). What happens in this case is that the currents go through In1 and as it approaches the second winding, all of the currents seem to jump over to the second winding and leave at In2 resulting in zero currents in the coils and therefore no fields att all in the inductor and no heating either.

So the question is - How can i make the currents go in the same direction for both coils?

2 Replies Last Post Mar 20, 2013, 4:35 p.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 7, 2013, 9:48 a.m. EST
I had a thought that instead of using the periodic condition, wouldn't it be easier to combine the induction heating model with the electrical circuit model by connecting a very small resistor (acting as a short) between the two ports i want to connect?

My knowledge in the electrical circuit model are very low so before I make an attempt on applying it on my model - is this something that could work? And if that's the case, how should I do it?
I had a thought that instead of using the periodic condition, wouldn't it be easier to combine the induction heating model with the electrical circuit model by connecting a very small resistor (acting as a short) between the two ports i want to connect? My knowledge in the electrical circuit model are very low so before I make an attempt on applying it on my model - is this something that could work? And if that's the case, how should I do it?

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 20, 2013, 4:35 p.m. EDT
Hi

IH is a complex physics ,you should start with something simpler if you are not really used to it. You have several domain physics to choose among, as the induction heating does normally NOT heat up the air but only highly conductive materials, then you must define solid and fluid domains ...

Ideally you should use external boundary feeds for the current/voltage excitation, but they seem not to be defined in IH as in MEF, but maybe you need to remake the model in a newer version

IH solves for T, J and H, you must ensure that for each dependent variable you define enough BC's to solve to an unique solution

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi IH is a complex physics ,you should start with something simpler if you are not really used to it. You have several domain physics to choose among, as the induction heating does normally NOT heat up the air but only highly conductive materials, then you must define solid and fluid domains ... Ideally you should use external boundary feeds for the current/voltage excitation, but they seem not to be defined in IH as in MEF, but maybe you need to remake the model in a newer version IH solves for T, J and H, you must ensure that for each dependent variable you define enough BC's to solve to an unique solution -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.