Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electromagnetic forces on parallel current-carrying wires - Comsol example

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,
I suppose that Comsol example: Electromagnetic forces on parallel current-carrying wires in ACDC_Module/Verification_Models/parallel_wires should be fully and properly working example.
I tried to change currents in wires in Parameters section from 1A to 10, and 100 A and after that I observed that the calculated force was not changed.
Is something else I need to change? Am I doing some mistake?
Comsol version is 4.3.
Thank you in advance,
Jozef.

6 Replies Last Post Mar 7, 2013, 5:25 p.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 7, 2013, 4:08 p.m. EST
Hi

obviously yes something is not OK, as you should see the force increase ;) but normally, if set up corectly, the change in current it all was is required

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi obviously yes something is not OK, as you should see the force increase ;) but normally, if set up corectly, the change in current it all was is required -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 7, 2013, 4:10 p.m. EST
Jozef,

you must go to the node 'Derived Values' and re-evaluate both subnodes.
Then you see an increase of forces by a factor 100 after an increase of current by a factor of 10. That is how it should be.

Cheers
Edgar
Jozef, you must go to the node 'Derived Values' and re-evaluate both subnodes. Then you see an increase of forces by a factor 100 after an increase of current by a factor of 10. That is how it should be. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 7, 2013, 4:17 p.m. EST
Thank you Ivar, but I need more concrete answer. Jozef.
Thank you Ivar, but I need more concrete answer. Jozef.

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 7, 2013, 4:32 p.m. EST
Thank you Edgar, now it is working. Jozef.
Thank you Edgar, now it is working. Jozef.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 7, 2013, 5:18 p.m. EST
Hi

It's true that the derived variables nodes are not updated automatically, you need to do it manually ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi It's true that the derived variables nodes are not updated automatically, you need to do it manually ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 7, 2013, 5:25 p.m. EST
Thank you Ivar.
Jozef.
Thank you Ivar. Jozef.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.