Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

geometrical optics

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hello,
I need to plan a system that include a parabolic mirror. I'm OK with the parabola's geometric , but don't know how to define it as a mirror. I mean how making that an incoming plane wave traveling along the axis of the parabola, will be transformed into a spherical wave converging toward the focus.

maybe you have any files I can learn from?

thanks,
shani.

10 Replies Last Post Oct 28, 2014, 9:04 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Shani Mesika

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 14, 2014, 2:24 p.m. EDT
hi, i have the same problem
hi, i have the same problem

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 14, 2014, 5:00 p.m. EDT
Shani,

in the RF module you assign an impedance or a PEC boundary condition to the parabola. Use impedance if you are interested in losses, use PEC if you don't care about losses.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Shani, in the RF module you assign an impedance or a PEC boundary condition to the parabola. Use impedance if you are interested in losses, use PEC if you don't care about losses. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 16, 2014, 11:54 a.m. EDT
Hi Edgar,

and how it is in Geometrical Optics? There is no such conditon. In fact, there are only few boundary conditions. Is there some trick how to do that?

Thank you!
Hi Edgar, and how it is in Geometrical Optics? There is no such conditon. In fact, there are only few boundary conditions. Is there some trick how to do that? Thank you!

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 16, 2014, 1:20 p.m. EDT
Katerina,

I don't have the wave optics module but as far as I remember from an evaluation licence, there are PEC and impedance BC in the frequency domain and at least PEC in the beam envelope study.

You are talking about Geometrical Optics, what you mean is probably wave optics, right?

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
Katerina, I don't have the wave optics module but as far as I remember from an evaluation licence, there are PEC and impedance BC in the frequency domain and at least PEC in the beam envelope study. You are talking about Geometrical Optics, what you mean is probably wave optics, right? Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 16, 2014, 2:32 p.m. EDT
no, i mean geometrical ray optics in 4.3b
no, i mean geometrical ray optics in 4.3b

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 17, 2014, 3:30 a.m. EDT

Sorry, I have never seen ray optics in COMSOL.

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
Sorry, I have never seen ray optics in COMSOL. -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 18, 2014, 6:00 a.m. EDT
Somebody has an experience with ray optics please?
Somebody has an experience with ray optics please?

Posted: 10 years ago Oct 27, 2014, 3:38 p.m. EDT
comsol is not based on ray optics. It can not do it.
comsol is not based on ray optics. It can not do it.

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 10 years ago Oct 27, 2014, 3:47 p.m. EDT
Ray Optics Module is launched with version 5.0, i.e. any day now!
Ray Optics Module is launched with version 5.0, i.e. any day now!

Posted: 10 years ago Oct 28, 2014, 9:04 a.m. EDT
Great, I am using 4.4. I am considering to upgrade to 5.0 now
Great, I am using 4.4. I am considering to upgrade to 5.0 now

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.