Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Sessile droplet

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I want to put a sessile droplet inside a channel. How to create a droplet of a specific material ? and how do I choose the model ?

As a reference I was wondering about the model in one the Paper - A Dynamic Electrowetting Simulation using the Level-Set Method-- www.comsol.co.in/papers/5283/

How do I replicate this paper in simulation?

Is the model available on Comsol website?

I was not sure that I can at all do anything like this in Comsol before I came across the paper.

6 Replies Last Post Jun 8, 2015, 7:01 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 18, 2013, 2:21 a.m. EDT
Hi

Have you tried to look at the model library (update it before to have them all, in compact mode it's quicker) search for "drop", or "level set"

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Have you tried to look at the model library (update it before to have them all, in compact mode it's quicker) search for "drop", or "level set" -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 18, 2013, 2:59 a.m. EDT

When I run the droplet breakup model it says "Out of memory during assembly" (both phase initialisation and time dependent studies)

Anyway , more importantly this example considered emulsions
I really could not make out much about individual droplets. can I put a single individual droplet ? like the paper I attached to the first post?

suppose i want to do a simple geometry with a rectangle and a ellipse. so that we have in 2D, a structure where the droplet touches the micro channel. I have made different structures like that. but could not make individual electrodes with electrostatic charges so that I can see the effect of potential on the droplet thorough change in surface tension

also if I try to solve with the edge of the a sphere on a layer of any material, it can not be solved. It says "surfaces intersecting"
how can I change the meshing so that I can solve those scenarios? or Am I wrong in the whole approach ?
When I run the droplet breakup model it says "Out of memory during assembly" (both phase initialisation and time dependent studies) Anyway , more importantly this example considered emulsions I really could not make out much about individual droplets. can I put a single individual droplet ? like the paper I attached to the first post? suppose i want to do a simple geometry with a rectangle and a ellipse. so that we have in 2D, a structure where the droplet touches the micro channel. I have made different structures like that. but could not make individual electrodes with electrostatic charges so that I can see the effect of potential on the droplet thorough change in surface tension also if I try to solve with the edge of the a sphere on a layer of any material, it can not be solved. It says "surfaces intersecting" how can I change the meshing so that I can solve those scenarios? or Am I wrong in the whole approach ?

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 18, 2013, 2:06 p.m. EDT
Hi

you have myny questions and I do not knowanswers for all, but the issue with he meshing of a dropplet aas a circle / spehere intersecting with a line / plane triggers my mind. As you get silver faces/planes when you get a tangent intersection like that of a circle / sphere and a line plane. Thise give singular point contacts, one should really adjust the geoemtries such that they have aclean (within the geometric resolution) defined common boundary.

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you have myny questions and I do not knowanswers for all, but the issue with he meshing of a dropplet aas a circle / spehere intersecting with a line / plane triggers my mind. As you get silver faces/planes when you get a tangent intersection like that of a circle / sphere and a line plane. Thise give singular point contacts, one should really adjust the geoemtries such that they have aclean (within the geometric resolution) defined common boundary. -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 4, 2013, 2:19 p.m. EDT
I am trying to recreate the droplet breakup model, and I too am getting the "Out of memory" error.

I don't understand the error. COMSOL says I'm only using 371MB out of 400MB, and I've used much more than 400MB in other models.
I am trying to recreate the droplet breakup model, and I too am getting the "Out of memory" error. I don't understand the error. COMSOL says I'm only using 371MB out of 400MB, and I've used much more than 400MB in other models.

Sampriti Bhattacharjee

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 2, 2014, 5:37 a.m. EDT
I am also having the same problem . May you please help me.
I am also having the same problem . May you please help me.

Posted: 9 years ago Jun 8, 2015, 7:01 a.m. EDT
Hi!
I require the model used in the following paper.
www.comsol.com/paper/5283

So I was wondering If you were able to replicate it or able to find it. If so, please share.
Hi! I require the model used in the following paper. www.comsol.com/paper/5283 So I was wondering If you were able to replicate it or able to find it. If so, please share.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.