Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Assigning material properties to an interior volume

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I want to assign the empty volume within a closed container to be a fluid and assign material propertied to this fluid.

I imported a closed 3D model that is made up of a number of solid parts contained within a closed chamber made up of a tube with end flanges. Each part comes in as a solid domain that I can assign material properties to. What I want to do is to create a domain from the empty volume within the closed container and assign material propertied to this domain so I can model heat transfer through the fluid in the container. I am not sure how to create a domain out of the empty space within a closed volume.
Is there a way to do this within COMSOL or within Solidworks?

Thank you

2 Replies Last Post Mar 19, 2013, 7:17 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 19, 2013, 2:33 a.m. EDT
Hi

if its in the geoemtrical part you have your proble, you can "box" your model inside COMSOL and have COMSOl to generate the volume that way, but to get it meshed and usefull you must inlcude it in some physics, and "solid" is not very useful to model a fluid you need some CFD module or a combined FSI or conjugated heat floe NITF

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if its in the geoemtrical part you have your proble, you can "box" your model inside COMSOL and have COMSOl to generate the volume that way, but to get it meshed and usefull you must inlcude it in some physics, and "solid" is not very useful to model a fluid you need some CFD module or a combined FSI or conjugated heat floe NITF -- Good luck Ivar

Sergei Yushanov Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 19, 2013, 7:17 a.m. EDT
Paul,

To create solid domain from a closed surface, use

Geometry>Conversions>Convert to Solid

This will create solid domain and you can assign material properties to it.

Regards,
Sergei
Paul, To create solid domain from a closed surface, use Geometry>Conversions>Convert to Solid This will create solid domain and you can assign material properties to it. Regards, Sergei

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.