Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Modulated sinusoidal excitation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everybody,

I have to simulate a piezo transducer. The excitation of ceramics is a modulated sinusoidal excitation with an amplitude of 110V. In Piezdoelectric Devices module, I just can set a electric potential V0.

In definitions, I can create a sinusoidale function (without modulation), but I don't know if I should use it. I'm in frequency domain, and I would know how the frequency is used in the calculation.

Thanks for your help,
Quentin

4 Replies Last Post Mar 20, 2013, 9:14 a.m. EDT
Sergei Yushanov Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 19, 2013, 7:46 a.m. EDT
Quentin,

In Frequency Domain study, setting electric potential to V0 means that excitation voltage is sine function with frequency defined under Study Settings. So, you don’t need to create sine function for this case.

If you want to apply modulated sinusoidal excitation, then you have to use Time Dependent study.

Regards,
Sergei
Quentin, In Frequency Domain study, setting electric potential to V0 means that excitation voltage is sine function with frequency defined under Study Settings. So, you don’t need to create sine function for this case. If you want to apply modulated sinusoidal excitation, then you have to use Time Dependent study. Regards, Sergei

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 19, 2013, 8:07 a.m. EDT
Thanks Sergei for your answer!

Ok for the Frequency Domain study. If I'm in Time Dependent study, I don't know how I can use a modulated sinusoidal excitation. Could you explain please?

Regards,
Quentin
Thanks Sergei for your answer! Ok for the Frequency Domain study. If I'm in Time Dependent study, I don't know how I can use a modulated sinusoidal excitation. Could you explain please? Regards, Quentin

Sergei Yushanov Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 19, 2013, 9:34 a.m. EDT
Quentin,

Under Definition>Variables, define modulated excitation voltage, for example

V0=A1*sin(2*pi*f1*t)+A2*sin(2*pi*f2*t)+…

Then, apply this voltage to PZT surface and use Time Dependent study. Make sure that time stepping is small enough to resolve excitation variation in time with sufficient accuracy.

Regards,
Sergei
Quentin, Under Definition>Variables, define modulated excitation voltage, for example V0=A1*sin(2*pi*f1*t)+A2*sin(2*pi*f2*t)+… Then, apply this voltage to PZT surface and use Time Dependent study. Make sure that time stepping is small enough to resolve excitation variation in time with sufficient accuracy. Regards, Sergei

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 20, 2013, 9:14 a.m. EDT
Thanks a lot Sergei for your help!
Thanks a lot Sergei for your help!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.