Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

solution does not converge when using more intensive mesh

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear:

I am making a 2d model about laminar flow around a plane. When I use better mesh, the solution does not converge. It works quite well using not so intensive mesh. Can anybody explain this to me please?

Thank you very much !

4 Replies Last Post Mar 21, 2013, 9:24 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 20, 2013, 11:17 a.m. EDT
I've ever met this problem before. What I did was to check the tolerance.
I've ever met this problem before. What I did was to check the tolerance.

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 20, 2013, 1:28 p.m. EDT
The tolerence is fine. I think maybe it is caused by the geometry or something else. I have tried to smooth the corners in the geometry, it works a little bit, but didn't sole the problem completely.
The tolerence is fine. I think maybe it is caused by the geometry or something else. I have tried to smooth the corners in the geometry, it works a little bit, but didn't sole the problem completely.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 20, 2013, 3:43 p.m. EDT
Hi

without the model it's difficult for me to tell ;) Sometimes I have seen such issues when one forget to set up boundary mesh for the no-slip walls. Normally COMSOL does this by default, if "physics driven mesh" is selected (default) but if you make our own mesh, you must not forget to add some boundary layers to better resolve the "noslip" velocity change

What often also makes life tricky is to use reasonable initial conditions with some pressure drop and a realistic velocity profile, not only at inlet but all through, and if in time transient solving, running frat a stationary case to establish correct initial conditions to then ramp up or down th eflow in transient mode often helps too

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi without the model it's difficult for me to tell ;) Sometimes I have seen such issues when one forget to set up boundary mesh for the no-slip walls. Normally COMSOL does this by default, if "physics driven mesh" is selected (default) but if you make our own mesh, you must not forget to add some boundary layers to better resolve the "noslip" velocity change What often also makes life tricky is to use reasonable initial conditions with some pressure drop and a realistic velocity profile, not only at inlet but all through, and if in time transient solving, running frat a stationary case to establish correct initial conditions to then ramp up or down th eflow in transient mode often helps too -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 21, 2013, 9:24 a.m. EDT

Thank you very much for your advice. I really didn't set boundary layers in the model. I tried it today but the result was still not satisfactory. The attachment is my model. The mesh in this model is not intensive and it converges. If we make it more intensive, convergence problem will occur. I think it is quite a simple model. Could you help me find the problem, please?
Thank you very much for your advice. I really didn't set boundary layers in the model. I tried it today but the result was still not satisfactory. The attachment is my model. The mesh in this model is not intensive and it converges. If we make it more intensive, convergence problem will occur. I think it is quite a simple model. Could you help me find the problem, please?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.