Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Parameters in file name

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all,

I am in a situation where I need to work with 40 or so parameters, and as a result when I export my results from a parametric sweep (with parameters appended to the file name) the file becomes too large to save. Is there a way to select which parameters are appended to the file name? On the flip side, is there a way to define "parameter sets" in which 1 parameter defines the others?

Thanks,
Aaron Shifman

6 Replies Last Post Oct 1, 2014, 7:50 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 25, 2013, 2:30 a.m. EDT
Hi

there was a way back in 3.5 time, to get each parameter into a new file but then you can only read them out one at the time. But I have newer tried this in v4. Have you checked the Export tab help and doc ?

then you have batch mode and matlab for sure

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi there was a way back in 3.5 time, to get each parameter into a new file but then you can only read them out one at the time. But I have newer tried this in v4. Have you checked the Export tab help and doc ? then you have batch mode and matlab for sure -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 25, 2013, 12:41 p.m. EDT

On the flip side, is there a way to define "parameter sets" in which 1 parameter defines the others?

Yes. Create a table where first column defines the 1st parameter and the rest of columns with "parameters sets" corresponding to the first parameter. Then define the interpolation function in COMSOL and load the file with the table of parameters. Choose number of parameters - one. Then for each of the parameters in the "parameter set" define the separate function.
[QUOTE] On the flip side, is there a way to define "parameter sets" in which 1 parameter defines the others? [/QUOTE] Yes. Create a table where first column defines the 1st parameter and the rest of columns with "parameters sets" corresponding to the first parameter. Then define the interpolation function in COMSOL and load the file with the table of parameters. Choose number of parameters - one. Then for each of the parameters in the "parameter set" define the separate function.

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 26, 2013, 9:58 a.m. EDT
Hi Alexander,

That sounds like it would work well, except that it appears that I can only have 3 arguments for these parameters, I have 11. How do I get around that?

Thanks,
Aaron Shifman
Hi Alexander, That sounds like it would work well, except that it appears that I can only have 3 arguments for these parameters, I have 11. How do I get around that? Thanks, Aaron Shifman

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 27, 2013, 9:12 p.m. EDT
Hi Ivar,

The I wen't through the documentation for the export tab, but I didn't see anything related to which parameters are listed in the file name. Is there no way to do a "custom" file name, or somehow reference the parameter value when I define the export file?

Thanks,
Aaron Shifman
Hi Ivar, The I wen't through the documentation for the export tab, but I didn't see anything related to which parameters are listed in the file name. Is there no way to do a "custom" file name, or somehow reference the parameter value when I define the export file? Thanks, Aaron Shifman

Posted: 10 years ago Oct 1, 2014, 12:48 a.m. EDT
Hi Ivar,

Do you know how to export data through batch mode using command line without GUI?

What should I write in command line?

Weijia
Hi Ivar, Do you know how to export data through batch mode using command line without GUI? What should I write in command line? Weijia

Posted: 10 years ago Oct 1, 2014, 7:50 a.m. EDT
Hey,

Yeah, I also want to know how to export data so please notify me if you find a way. :)

Ivelin
Hey, Yeah, I also want to know how to export data so please notify me if you find a way. :) Ivelin

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.