Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Split solid into two domains

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I have a 3D model that I've imported into COMSOL. In Solidworks, I have two features that are separate, however, when imported into COMSOL, they become a single domain and a single geometry feature.

Using the Split Geometry tool failed to split the solid into two domains. I was looking but didn't see a way to split the domain a a particular boundary. Can this be done?

Looking around forums online, I found a suggestion for splitting a domain suggesting to "extrude a line from the work plane - do not use a 3D block."

This sound like it's possible, however, the boundary where I would like to split the domain is curved so this doesn't sound easy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and if someone in the forum feels inclined, I'll post the model file to work from.

Thanks,

Art

1 Reply Last Post Apr 1, 2013, 4:14 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 1, 2013, 4:14 p.m. EDT
Hi

I'm not sure what you name a "feature", in Solidworks (latest versions) you can generate one or several "bodies" in a "part" (=file) and assemble "part"s in an "assembly" (= file with links to part files).
COMSOL will read in the SolidWorks bodies as well as the parts as separate volumic objects, and then analyse these to generate DFEM Entities => Domains and Boundaries depending on how these bodies and/or part(s) interact (having common boundaries (=surface segments) or not)
It's often easier to "split" the part in Solidworks, also to "split-line" surfaces to make specific subdomains easier to select, even if this sometimes is also easy to do in COMSOL (but not always, for complex geometries)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I'm not sure what you name a "feature", in Solidworks (latest versions) you can generate one or several "bodies" in a "part" (=file) and assemble "part"s in an "assembly" (= file with links to part files). COMSOL will read in the SolidWorks bodies as well as the parts as separate volumic objects, and then analyse these to generate DFEM Entities => Domains and Boundaries depending on how these bodies and/or part(s) interact (having common boundaries (=surface segments) or not) It's often easier to "split" the part in Solidworks, also to "split-line" surfaces to make specific subdomains easier to select, even if this sometimes is also easy to do in COMSOL (but not always, for complex geometries) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.