Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Piezoelectric Device 3D

Manu Goiogana Bengoetxea

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm a quite new user in Comsol, and I have some doubts about the Piezoelectric Devices (pzd) Module.

I have built a model with 2 ceramic rings (see the model in the attached file), that are suposed to create an axial vibration to the transducer. In order to obtain that, the two ceramic rings are polarized in the opposite directions. Hower, the result is not what I am looking for.
I have tried polarizing the ceramics in different ways, but no way.

It is suposed that the axial vibration created with the first ceramic added to the vibration createeed with the second, the effect is going to be double, and then, this is going to be transmited to the elastic cylinders coupled.
How would you define the coupling in this case? I am not sure if I have to use a pair in this case or not.

Any help to solve this strange result will be very grateful
Thanks a lot

3 Replies Last Post Apr 22, 2016, 6:53 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 5, 2013, 3:06 p.m. EDT
Hi

in 3D there are many things to get right, and with a complex physics like PZD even more.

I can only suggest that you start with the two PZT cylinders without the rest. Make them by 1 part with a central layer in the middle. Then add 2 PZT physics nodes and orient the PZT items accordingly (if you do not want them co-linear as you polarize them with a mirror plane with GND outwards. Thest thes out with a coarse mesh, so they solve in a few seconds, and play around until you are sure you mater the coordinate projections ...

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi in 3D there are many things to get right, and with a complex physics like PZD even more. I can only suggest that you start with the two PZT cylinders without the rest. Make them by 1 part with a central layer in the middle. Then add 2 PZT physics nodes and orient the PZT items accordingly (if you do not want them co-linear as you polarize them with a mirror plane with GND outwards. Thest thes out with a coarse mesh, so they solve in a few seconds, and play around until you are sure you mater the coordinate projections ... -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 9 years ago Mar 4, 2015, 4:14 a.m. EST
I am working on a ring shaped piezoelectric transducer in free field. I have successfully built this in a 3D model that works, which is attached. I am encountering a issues with total surface displacement of piezo. As my intention to built this model is piezo transducer displacement in a axial direction at its resonance frequency which displaced maximum on top, bottom of the piezo ring and minimum at center of the ring. But in my model shows that the piezo transducer displacement in radial direction at its resonance frequency. can any one help me with some suggestions
I am working on a ring shaped piezoelectric transducer in free field. I have successfully built this in a 3D model that works, which is attached. I am encountering a issues with total surface displacement of piezo. As my intention to built this model is piezo transducer displacement in a axial direction at its resonance frequency which displaced maximum on top, bottom of the piezo ring and minimum at center of the ring. But in my model shows that the piezo transducer displacement in radial direction at its resonance frequency. can any one help me with some suggestions

Posted: 8 years ago Apr 22, 2016, 6:53 a.m. EDT
Hello , I currently looking for how to simulate the tension resulting applying pressure on a piezoelectric beam using COMSOL , I need help and thank you !
Hello , I currently looking for how to simulate the tension resulting applying pressure on a piezoelectric beam using COMSOL , I need help and thank you !

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.