Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Geometry of a cylinder

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello! I am a beginner in COMSOL and i would like to ask you about the dimensions of a cylinder in 3D!

In my model i have to design two cylinders with the next dimensions: the first one with radius = 0.0125 mm and height = 20 mm and the second one with radius = 0.0125 mm and height = 50 mm but when i finish my geometry, the two cylinders look like rectangles. Also in my geometry i have a block with width = 50 mm, depth = 40 mm and height = 100 mm.

Why does this happen? Because of the difference in dimensions of cylinder and block and how can i fix it?

Thank you for your help.

3 Replies Last Post Jul 4, 2013, 2:45 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 5, 2013, 3:14 p.m. EDT
Hi

it could be the resolution setings of our graphics, or the geoemtry settings, Anyhow with sich "loong sleder geometries, its worth to turn off the respect axis scaling (Definitions View, Axis sub tab)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi it could be the resolution setings of our graphics, or the geoemtry settings, Anyhow with sich "loong sleder geometries, its worth to turn off the respect axis scaling (Definitions View, Axis sub tab) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 3, 2013, 1:32 p.m. EDT
Ivar,

does this applies to v4.3b?

Because I cannot find an Axis sub-tab under the View node.

cheers,
Felipe BM
Ivar, does this applies to v4.3b? Because I cannot find an Axis sub-tab under the View node. cheers, Felipe BM

Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 4, 2013, 2:45 a.m. EDT
Hi,

Some comments here:

- The very slender cylinders' cross sections appear as rectangles because of the graphics rendering, but that does not affect the simulation: if you refine the mesh, the mesh boundaries will respect the circular cross sections of the cylinders. You can also change the graphics rendering detail in the Preferences dialog box (click Graphics and then change the setting in the Detail list under Visualization). With the Fine setting, the cylinders appear with a more circular cross section.

- The Axis subnode under the View node, with the "Preserve aspect ratio" check box, only appears in 2D geometries. It is not applicable in 3D geometries.

Best regards,
Magnus Ringh, COMSOL
Hi, Some comments here: - The very slender cylinders' cross sections appear as rectangles because of the graphics rendering, but that does not affect the simulation: if you refine the mesh, the mesh boundaries will respect the circular cross sections of the cylinders. You can also change the graphics rendering detail in the Preferences dialog box (click Graphics and then change the setting in the Detail list under Visualization). With the Fine setting, the cylinders appear with a more circular cross section. - The Axis subnode under the View node, with the "Preserve aspect ratio" check box, only appears in 2D geometries. It is not applicable in 3D geometries. Best regards, Magnus Ringh, COMSOL

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.