Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Unusual condition between two fluids

Guilherme Rosati Mecelis

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, i`m new here, then sorry if this is a silly question...

I need to set the follow condition in the interface between two fluids:

ro_v*u_v*hfg = ro_l*u_l*hfg = lambda_v*(dTv/dx) - lambda_eff*(dTl/dx)

Where:
ro = density
u = velocity
lambda = condutivity
hfg = latent heat

That is a balance of heat flux.
I must find an boundary condition that lets me set the velocities in the interface, for the two fluids, following that condition.

Someone have any idea, please??

2 Replies Last Post Apr 11, 2013, 6:21 p.m. EDT
Niklas Rom COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 10, 2013, 8:47 a.m. EDT
I wouldn't say that is very unusual. I guess you are doing phase change/melting...
Check this model, it does exactly what you want to do:
www.comsol.com/showroom/gallery/6234/
even if in this case it is melting and involves one solid and one fluid:

Niklas

Hello, i`m new here, then sorry if this is a silly question...

I need to set the follow condition in the interface between two fluids:

ro_v*u_v*hfg = ro_l*u_l*hfg = lambda_v*(dTv/dx) - lambda_eff*(dTl/dx)

Where:
ro = density
u = velocity
lambda = condutivity
hfg = latent heat

That is a balance of heat flux.
I must find an boundary condition that lets me set the velocities in the interface, for the two fluids, following that condition.

Someone have any idea, please??

I wouldn't say that is very unusual. I guess you are doing phase change/melting... Check this model, it does exactly what you want to do: http://www.comsol.com/showroom/gallery/6234/ even if in this case it is melting and involves one solid and one fluid: Niklas [QUOTE] Hello, i`m new here, then sorry if this is a silly question... I need to set the follow condition in the interface between two fluids: ro_v*u_v*hfg = ro_l*u_l*hfg = lambda_v*(dTv/dx) - lambda_eff*(dTl/dx) Where: ro = density u = velocity lambda = condutivity hfg = latent heat That is a balance of heat flux. I must find an boundary condition that lets me set the velocities in the interface, for the two fluids, following that condition. Someone have any idea, please?? [/QUOTE]

Guilherme Rosati Mecelis

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 11, 2013, 6:21 p.m. EDT

I wouldn't say that is very unusual. I guess you are doing phase change/melting...
Check this model, it does exactly what you want to do:
www.comsol.com/showroom/gallery/6234/
even if in this case it is melting and involves one solid and one fluid:

Niklas

Thanks Niklas, that helped me a little, but i still have one problem...

My interface condition is between two fuids, then there will need to be a velocity definition in both domains. Its a discontinuity, thats physically not happens, but is a mathematical aproximation to an boiling effect.

I don't know if I'm clear enough, but i'm trying to simulate an boiling effect, but simplified. I'm not using phase change or moving boundaries.

If I could define different velocities for the domains in the different sides of my boundary, my problem would be solved, but i cant find a module that do this... ^^

[QUOTE] I wouldn't say that is very unusual. I guess you are doing phase change/melting... Check this model, it does exactly what you want to do: http://www.comsol.com/showroom/gallery/6234/ even if in this case it is melting and involves one solid and one fluid: Niklas [/QUOTE] Thanks Niklas, that helped me a little, but i still have one problem... My interface condition is between two fuids, then there will need to be a velocity definition in both domains. Its a discontinuity, thats physically not happens, but is a mathematical aproximation to an boiling effect. I don't know if I'm clear enough, but i'm trying to simulate an boiling effect, but simplified. I'm not using phase change or moving boundaries. If I could define different velocities for the domains in the different sides of my boundary, my problem would be solved, but i cant find a module that do this... ^^

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.