Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to mesh this concrete slab with embedded loop

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

This is a concrete slab with embedded loop. I don't want to use the free tetrahedral to mesh this model since the result is not as accurate as quad element do if the order of the shape function is the same according to the finite element method. So I am writing this email to ask whether there is a reasonable solution to this model?

Thanks for your help!

Sincerely,

Jiaxing

4 Replies Last Post Oct 21, 2015, 4:56 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago May 7, 2013, 2:04 a.m. EDT
Hi

I'm not that sure that the thets are less correct than quads, have you checked with COMSOL ? but OK,

To mesh that one, I would propose to mesh the entry, (then you could try a sweep mesh for the full tube, it might go as is ;) or then copy the entry boundary mesh onto all the boundary ends of the straight sections, and then sweep mesh the elements, either all, or by segments, if all is not working

You might need to convert the external boundary elements to tri to mesh the surrounding

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I'm not that sure that the thets are less correct than quads, have you checked with COMSOL ? but OK, To mesh that one, I would propose to mesh the entry, (then you could try a sweep mesh for the full tube, it might go as is ;) or then copy the entry boundary mesh onto all the boundary ends of the straight sections, and then sweep mesh the elements, either all, or by segments, if all is not working You might need to convert the external boundary elements to tri to mesh the surrounding -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago May 7, 2013, 9:16 a.m. EDT
Hi Ivar,

Thanks for your reply!

It is easy to map the embedded loop which, by the way, is hollow. See attached file. And I know I could convert the boundary of this loop to tri to mesh the rest part of this slab.

The problem is that this way has no essentially difference,apart from the advantage of control of mesh size, from the way I use Free Tetrahedral directly.

I want to use hexahedron. Do you think this is possible?

The second question is how to couple shell part with block. I searched in this forum. It seems that up to now the model library doesn't have this type of model, right?

Really appreciate your time!

Jiaxing
Hi Ivar, Thanks for your reply! It is easy to map the embedded loop which, by the way, is hollow. See attached file. And I know I could convert the boundary of this loop to tri to mesh the rest part of this slab. The problem is that this way has no essentially difference,apart from the advantage of control of mesh size, from the way I use Free Tetrahedral directly. I want to use hexahedron. Do you think this is possible? The second question is how to couple shell part with block. I searched in this forum. It seems that up to now the model library doesn't have this type of model, right? Really appreciate your time! Jiaxing

Posted: 9 years ago Oct 20, 2015, 4:17 p.m. EDT
Hi,

Here you have mentioned the swept meshing, How can I symmetrically mesh a concrete cylinder. I am not able to come up with symmetric meshes on the top and bottom surfaces (please see the attached picture).

Thank you,
Hamid
hfakhri@buffalo.edu
Hi, Here you have mentioned the swept meshing, How can I symmetrically mesh a concrete cylinder. I am not able to come up with symmetric meshes on the top and bottom surfaces (please see the attached picture). Thank you, Hamid hfakhri@buffalo.edu

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 years ago Oct 21, 2015, 4:56 a.m. EDT
Hello Hamidreza,
If I understand what you want to achieve, this should work for you: divide the top face into two equal halves, and mesh those two halves with swept meshes (you get regular quad meshes), and then sweep that down.
If difficulties persist, or if the above is not clear, please contact support@comsol.com .
Best,
Jeff
Hello Hamidreza, If I understand what you want to achieve, this should work for you: divide the top face into two equal halves, and mesh those two halves with swept meshes (you get regular quad meshes), and then sweep that down. If difficulties persist, or if the above is not clear, please contact support@comsol.com . Best, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.