Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Parametric Study making functions

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi there,

I am doing a parametric study with a variable T_initial for a frequency domain simulation for a fixed range of frequencies, this worked well

I need now to change the set of frequencies with a function freq_range(T_initial). In the study frequency-domain it always says failed to evaluated the function. The function was defined in the global definitions and it is plotted well in the results.

The field frequencies does not accept my function I dont know why.

6 Replies Last Post May 8, 2013, 2:35 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago May 7, 2013, 1:53 p.m. EDT
Hi

normally the time and frequency, as well as parametrical sweep only accepts lists {...}, not continuous functions, this might be the issue you are having

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi normally the time and frequency, as well as parametrical sweep only accepts lists {...}, not continuous functions, this might be the issue you are having -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago May 7, 2013, 2:02 p.m. EDT
Hi Ivar that makes sense, yes that is the problem I am having since I am adding interpolations functions.

Do you known if there is any way to add a table with 4 variables?

parametric value, freq_min, freq_max, freq_step

to a parametric study?

Thanks,

Duarte
Hi Ivar that makes sense, yes that is the problem I am having since I am adding interpolations functions. Do you known if there is any way to add a table with 4 variables? parametric value, freq_min, freq_max, freq_step to a parametric study? Thanks, Duarte

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago May 8, 2013, 1:20 a.m. EDT
Hi

I'm not sure I fully understand your demand, in the derived values I make generally at most 2 entries and then I use cut&paste to EXCEL more (which is seldom the case as I'm not an Excel fan anyhow ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I'm not sure I fully understand your demand, in the derived values I make generally at most 2 entries and then I use cut&paste to EXCEL more (which is seldom the case as I'm not an Excel fan anyhow ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago May 8, 2013, 11:10 a.m. EDT
Hi Ivar,

I am studying the resonance frequency for a different set of temperatures. The dielectric values change with temperature by adding a function in the material properties.

I need to change the frequency range in function the of temperature during the parametric study. I tried with a function freq_min(T_initial) and freq_max(T_initial) but it did not work. Since they are continuous functions.

Any clue?

P.S. - It works well if the frequency range is always the same.

Thanks

Hi Ivar, I am studying the resonance frequency for a different set of temperatures. The dielectric values change with temperature by adding a function in the material properties. I need to change the frequency range in function the of temperature during the parametric study. I tried with a function freq_min(T_initial) and freq_max(T_initial) but it did not work. Since they are continuous functions. Any clue? P.S. - It works well if the frequency range is always the same. Thanks

Posted: 1 decade ago May 8, 2013, 2:28 p.m. EDT
Hi

indeed that is tricky, probably simpler to either stick to the same frequency sweep, make it fine enough i.e. 10^range(-3,0.5,3) or whatever, as there is no need to stay linear: range(1,10,1000)

or then to use matlab to drive your simulation step by step

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi indeed that is tricky, probably simpler to either stick to the same frequency sweep, make it fine enough i.e. 10^range(-3,0.5,3) or whatever, as there is no need to stay linear: range(1,10,1000) or then to use matlab to drive your simulation step by step -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago May 8, 2013, 2:35 p.m. EDT
Hi Ivar,

It is possible to solve this problem with the matlab?

I am doing this with a constant frequency and afterwards cutout the results from the frequencies I am not interested.

Many thanks for the tips.
Hi Ivar, It is possible to solve this problem with the matlab? I am doing this with a constant frequency and afterwards cutout the results from the frequencies I am not interested. Many thanks for the tips.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.