Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

DAE is structurally inconsistent - Induced current in coil

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am just starting to use COMSOL (4.3b) and I have encountered a problem while modelling. I am modelling two identical multi- turn coils where from one is excited by sinusoidal voltage source and I need to find the current generated in the second coil. For this I am using a 2D axisymmetric dimension, the Magnetic Fields (mf) and Electrical Circuit (cir) physics and a time dependent study. The circuit is a basic transformer circuit where the two inductors have been replaced by the coils (via the External I vs U component). When I compute, it displays this:

Errors during the multiphysics.

The DAE is structurally inconsistent.
-Variables:2
-Equation:1

Yet when I put an inductor in parallel with the coils, everything works and I don't see why.

Can someone help ?

Thanks

6 Replies Last Post Jun 21, 2016, 1:52 a.m. EDT
Andrea Ferrario COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 5, 2013, 10:34 a.m. EDT
Dear Frédéric,

The External I vs U features work (from the point of view of the circuit) as voltage sources, whose value depends on the applied current, so you cannot put them directly in parallel. The solution is typically to add a very small resistance in series.

Best regards,

--
Andrea Ferrario
Electromagnetics Group
COMSOL AB
Dear Frédéric, The External I vs U features work (from the point of view of the circuit) as voltage sources, whose value depends on the applied current, so you cannot put them directly in parallel. The solution is typically to add a very small resistance in series. Best regards, -- Andrea Ferrario Electromagnetics Group COMSOL AB

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 5, 2013, 10:48 a.m. EDT
Thanks a lot! Now everything is working fine.

Best regards,

Frédéric Maes
Thanks a lot! Now everything is working fine. Best regards, Frédéric Maes

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 11, 2013, 9:25 a.m. EDT
Hello Andrea,

Thanks again for the previous reply but I have a few other questions.

After using your tip (adding a small load to the induced circuit) I wondered if COMSOL takes into account the resistance of the inducing coil and of the induced coil ? If this is the case then it wouldn't be necessary to add the small load to the secondary circuit.

Another thing I noticed is that when I try to measure the impedance of the induced coil after a simulation (a load is in series with the induced coil), COMSOL evaluates the impedance of the coil as being the negative of the load ( for example if the load is 10 ohm then the impedance of the induced coil is (-10ohm). Is there an explanation to this?

Finally, set aside the electrical circuit, is there another way to evaluate certain coil parameters (impedance,induced current, emf) in the induced coil (for this I'm working in the frequency domain) ?

Thank you in advance,

Frédéric Maes
Hello Andrea, Thanks again for the previous reply but I have a few other questions. After using your tip (adding a small load to the induced circuit) I wondered if COMSOL takes into account the resistance of the inducing coil and of the induced coil ? If this is the case then it wouldn't be necessary to add the small load to the secondary circuit. Another thing I noticed is that when I try to measure the impedance of the induced coil after a simulation (a load is in series with the induced coil), COMSOL evaluates the impedance of the coil as being the negative of the load ( for example if the load is 10 ohm then the impedance of the induced coil is (-10ohm). Is there an explanation to this? Finally, set aside the electrical circuit, is there another way to evaluate certain coil parameters (impedance,induced current, emf) in the induced coil (for this I'm working in the frequency domain) ? Thank you in advance, Frédéric Maes

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 15, 2013, 4:03 p.m. EDT
hey Frédéric and Andrea,

i have the same problem in building the transformer could you please tell me where did you add the small resistance.

V/R
Abdul
hey Frédéric and Andrea, i have the same problem in building the transformer could you please tell me where did you add the small resistance. V/R Abdul

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 18, 2013, 8:24 a.m. EST
Hello

I have the same problem even after insertig the mentioned resistors can you please attach your model, so that I can compare the procedures to my model

Thanks in advance
Hello I have the same problem even after insertig the mentioned resistors can you please attach your model, so that I can compare the procedures to my model Thanks in advance

Posted: 8 years ago Jun 21, 2016, 1:52 a.m. EDT
Greetings!
I am building an O core transformer and when I compute the results i got an error i.e.lambda is not defined.Please help me out in solving the problem.Kindly any help will be appreciated.
Thanks
Pratibha
Greetings! I am building an O core transformer and when I compute the results i got an error i.e.lambda is not defined.Please help me out in solving the problem.Kindly any help will be appreciated. Thanks Pratibha

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.