Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Ring of varying width

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I'm trying to build a ring that has a nominal radius but whose width (thickness) varies as a function of the angle phi around the ring. I've created a cylindrical coordinate system but can't figure out how to use it. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Sean

2 Replies Last Post Jul 24, 2013, 5:46 p.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 24, 2013, 5:03 p.m. EDT
Sean,

You will not be able to use the cylinder to build what you like. I have tried this before and failed. I had to draw the two ends of the cylinder separately and then use "cap faces" to get the varying width cylinder. Check out my attachment.

Sri.
Sean, You will not be able to use the cylinder to build what you like. I have tried this before and failed. I had to draw the two ends of the cylinder separately and then use "cap faces" to get the varying width cylinder. Check out my attachment. Sri.

Josh Thomas Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 24, 2013, 5:46 p.m. EDT
Sean and Sri,

You can use a cylinder and then just do a partition Boolean command to chop off the unwanted geometry.

See attached mph file Geometry 1 is Sri's geometry. Geometry 2 is the way to do the same thing with a cylinder.

Best regards,
Josh Thomas
Sean and Sri, You can use a cylinder and then just do a partition Boolean command to chop off the unwanted geometry. See attached mph file Geometry 1 is Sri's geometry. Geometry 2 is the way to do the same thing with a cylinder. Best regards, Josh Thomas

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.