Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Capacitive Shielding

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to model a capacitive shield made of aluminium. The shield function is to interrupt the capacitive coupling between un helical coil and a charge inside the coil. Our objective is to evaluate the thickness of the shield in order to maximize magnetic field penetration while minimizing capacitive coupling.

The problem i'm dealing with is that the working frequency is about 2.7MHz. At this frequency, the skin depth of the aluminium is 45um. So shield thickness must at less 3times lower then 45um. The scale of my model is in centimeters. Since i didn't succeed to mesh a cylinder of 45um diameter, i would like to know if there is a boundary condition i can use to model this effect ?

The impedance boundary condition is not suitable for me because it will simulate a perfect magnetic screen. I see that there is a "Transition boundary condition" but i would to know how valid this condition is ?

Thank you very much.

3 Replies Last Post Aug 15, 2013, 3:18 p.m. EDT
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 15, 2013, 12:55 p.m. EDT
Hi,

I haven't used the transition BC so far, but from what I read in the documentation it should exactly do your job.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
Hi, I haven't used the transition BC so far, but from what I read in the documentation it should exactly do your job. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 15, 2013, 2:36 p.m. EDT
Thank you Edgar for your respons. In fact it seems that this condition do the job, but i would like to have user experience with this BC.

I already tried it but the results are not satisfactory. I made a simulation at 10*skin_depth and another at skin_depth/10. Then i calculated the surface electromagneting heating of the my charge (modeled with an impedance boundary condition). The difference is very small (<5%) compared with what we can obtain experimentally.

Regards.
Thank you Edgar for your respons. In fact it seems that this condition do the job, but i would like to have user experience with this BC. I already tried it but the results are not satisfactory. I made a simulation at 10*skin_depth and another at skin_depth/10. Then i calculated the surface electromagneting heating of the my charge (modeled with an impedance boundary condition). The difference is very small (

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 15, 2013, 3:18 p.m. EDT
Christian,

would you mind uploading your model? Clear solutions and meshes to get it small enough.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
Christian, would you mind uploading your model? Clear solutions and meshes to get it small enough. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.