Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Flouquet periodicity on Eigenfrequency analysis 3D

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone!
I'm trying to obtain dispersion curves for a 2D periodic structure in 3D. Already build the geometry (basically a ball inside a box), assigned the materials, and set the Flouquet periodicity at all boundaries x,y,z. But all I get is:
Undefined value found.
- Detail: Undefined value found in the stiffness matrix.
and then it lists some points in the 3D geometry. But I already checked and they are meshed and have material setup. What could be wrong?
Thanks in advance for your time at reading/replying this.
Ruth

2 Replies Last Post Sep 10, 2013, 10:15 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 30, 2013, 4:59 p.m. EDT
I've done similar simulations and 99% of the time I got errors was when the mesh for each periodic condition boundary isn't the same. (You do have a separate periodic condition for each dimension right?)

To verify this is the cause try disabling the periodic conditions and running your simulation. Enable each one individually until the error reappears to find the problem meshes.

To fix this: mesh one side of each boundary and then use 'Copy Face' to copy the mesh it to it's respective pair.

I've done similar simulations and 99% of the time I got errors was when the mesh for each periodic condition boundary isn't the same. (You do have a separate periodic condition for each dimension right?) To verify this is the cause try disabling the periodic conditions and running your simulation. Enable each one individually until the error reappears to find the problem meshes. To fix this: mesh one side of each boundary and then use 'Copy Face' to copy the mesh it to it's respective pair.

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 10, 2013, 10:15 a.m. EDT
Hi Ruth,

Has anyone managed to create a working Comsol file that solves this problem in version 4.3a?
If so, could you please share it?! I'm quite new with Comsol and your help would be gratefully acknowledged. Thanks in advance.

Mike
Hi Ruth, Has anyone managed to create a working Comsol file that solves this problem in version 4.3a? If so, could you please share it?! I'm quite new with Comsol and your help would be gratefully acknowledged. Thanks in advance. Mike

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.