Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Surface reaction - diffusion: Robin condition

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am working on implementing a reaction-diffusion model. I have a particle in solution, where a reaction is occurring at the surface. I want to implement a Robin condition in the boundary of the particle (so that -D(dCa/dr)|surface = k*(Ca-Ca,b). Here, Ca,b is the concentration of A in the bulk. I am using the modules of "Transport of Diluted Species" and "Surface reactions" but so far, I have only found the option of setting the value of the flux at the particle surface but this is not what I am looking for - I want the flux to be tied to Ca via a rate law (and thus define the reaction rate constant). I am unable to find how to implement the Robin condition, and I would appreciate if somebody can help me out with this. I searched the discussion forum but I haven't found an answer. Thanks for your time.

Maria

1 Reply Last Post Aug 29, 2013, 3:30 a.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 29, 2013, 3:30 a.m. EDT
Use the flux boundary condition, and write your expression k*(Ca-Ca,b) (+ or - depending the direction of the flux) into the corresponding box.

Use the flux boundary condition, and write your expression k*(Ca-Ca,b) (+ or - depending the direction of the flux) into the corresponding box.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.