Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Flow of fluid over an obstacle

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi. I am very new to comsol software. I have been trying to simulate the fluid flow in a microchannel. I have designed the channel in workplane and extruded it to 50um to get the 3d structure. In the mid of the channel, I have drawn a semi-circle, and extruded it separately to 20um. I though it would act like an obstacle to fluid flow, so the fluid would flow over this obstacle. But after simulation, I found that the fluid just flows through the obstacle(Although I have defined the structure as a solid). Please advice about how to let the fluid to flow over this structure.

3 Replies Last Post Sep 4, 2013, 5:10 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 3, 2013, 6:25 a.m. EDT
You have to subtract your obstacle from the channel.
You have to subtract your obstacle from the channel.

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 3, 2013, 3:57 p.m. EDT
Lasse’s advise is the best way to do it. You can also keep the inner obstacle in the geometry and exclude it from the fluid flow physics node.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Lasse’s advise is the best way to do it. You can also keep the inner obstacle in the geometry and exclude it from the fluid flow physics node. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 4, 2013, 5:10 a.m. EDT
Thanks for your comment Lasse. I still dont understand the concept. I wanted a few micron(10um) gap in the microchannel(50um) through which the fluid must pass through. Should i use 3d objects like block, cylinder or i can use 2d objects and then extrude them to their heights.

I get an error : 'Out of memory in stationary solver' or 'Solution is not converged. How to deal with them'
Thanks in advance.
Thanks for your comment Lasse. I still dont understand the concept. I wanted a few micron(10um) gap in the microchannel(50um) through which the fluid must pass through. Should i use 3d objects like block, cylinder or i can use 2d objects and then extrude them to their heights. I get an error : 'Out of memory in stationary solver' or 'Solution is not converged. How to deal with them' Thanks in advance.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.