Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Can we model this creep in COMSOL?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am having a pressurized cylinder with a temperature variation along the length which is increasing with time. I want to include the creep equations as in the attached file. There is an integration term in the equation. All the elements do not reach 1123 K at the same time, plz advice how to do it?

Warm Regards

4 Replies Last Post Oct 7, 2013, 11:59 p.m. EDT
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 7, 2013, 9:13 a.m. EDT
Dear Anuj,

It’s not a built in creep model obviously, but you should be able to implement it as a User defined creep expression. The difficulty is in the time integral part in the denominator of the second creep term. It’s only a function of temperature and time so if the temperature is predefined you can predefine that integral as well. If not then you should setup that equation as an ODE that COMSOL solves for simultaneously with the other solution variables, and use that equation in the user defined creep expression.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Dear Anuj, It’s not a built in creep model obviously, but you should be able to implement it as a User defined creep expression. The difficulty is in the time integral part in the denominator of the second creep term. It’s only a function of temperature and time so if the temperature is predefined you can predefine that integral as well. If not then you should setup that equation as an ODE that COMSOL solves for simultaneously with the other solution variables, and use that equation in the user defined creep expression. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 7, 2013, 12:27 p.m. EDT
Dear Nagi,

Thanks for the prompt reply.
As all the elements are not going to reach temperature = 1123 K at one time, won't it be true that we need to know the history of each element?
In programming (such as fortran) we can make a counter so that as soon as an element temperature reaches 1123 K, it will calculate the integral term also (here the integral is t-t1 or dt multiplied by other constants,) and keep on adding for each small time step.

I don't know how to do that here in COMSOL. Could you plz give some hints or refer me to some examples?

Warm Regards
Anuj
Dear Nagi, Thanks for the prompt reply. As all the elements are not going to reach temperature = 1123 K at one time, won't it be true that we need to know the history of each element? In programming (such as fortran) we can make a counter so that as soon as an element temperature reaches 1123 K, it will calculate the integral term also (here the integral is t-t1 or dt multiplied by other constants,) and keep on adding for each small time step. I don't know how to do that here in COMSOL. Could you plz give some hints or refer me to some examples? Warm Regards Anuj

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 7, 2013, 2:17 p.m. EDT
Dear Anuj,

There is no “counter” option in COMSOL as far as I know. However, you can setup a domain level differential equation for that variable as I described earlier. That way COMSOL will have a value for that variable at each point in the material. You will find a lot of COMSOL material on how to do this if you search for Equation Based Modeling, including this recent webinar: www.comsol.com/video/equation-based-modeling-custom-simulations-comsol-multiphysics .

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Dear Anuj, There is no “counter” option in COMSOL as far as I know. However, you can setup a domain level differential equation for that variable as I described earlier. That way COMSOL will have a value for that variable at each point in the material. You will find a lot of COMSOL material on how to do this if you search for Equation Based Modeling, including this recent webinar: http://www.comsol.com/video/equation-based-modeling-custom-simulations-comsol-multiphysics . Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 7, 2013, 11:59 p.m. EDT
Thank you Nagi,

I will do that.

Warm Regards
Thank you Nagi, I will do that. Warm Regards

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.