Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

damp of resonator

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

dear all
I want to use comsol to do a resonator damping analysis,solve the resonator's resonance damping in the air,I want to konw which module should I us , should I ank you to help me find one example.
thanks very much

3 Replies Last Post Oct 21, 2013, 5:57 p.m. EDT
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 18, 2013, 8:58 a.m. EDT
Dear Li,

It depends on the source of the damping and the type of analysis you need (frequency or time domain). For such problems damping could be mainly due to the air in which case you need a structural acoustic model, or it could be material damping in the solid in which case you just need a structural model, or it could be both! The options available for handling the damping depend on whether you are solving in the time or frequency domain. You may need the Acoustics, Structural Mechanics or the MEMS module depending on the details.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Dear Li, It depends on the source of the damping and the type of analysis you need (frequency or time domain). For such problems damping could be mainly due to the air in which case you need a structural acoustic model, or it could be material damping in the solid in which case you just need a structural model, or it could be both! The options available for handling the damping depend on whether you are solving in the time or frequency domain. You may need the Acoustics, Structural Mechanics or the MEMS module depending on the details. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 20, 2013, 10:10 p.m. EDT
Dear Nagi Elabbasi
thanks very much for your help,the damping is from the friction between the air and the resonator , I want to use the time domain mode solution, could you tell me how to use?
Dear Nagi Elabbasi thanks very much for your help,the damping is from the friction between the air and the resonator , I want to use the time domain mode solution, could you tell me how to use?

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 21, 2013, 5:57 p.m. EDT
Dear Li,

Friction between the air and the resonator is a viscous loss. You can account for that in a transient analysis using the Acoustics module. In the Transient Pressure Acoustics Model settings select Fluid model = Viscous.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Dear Li, Friction between the air and the resonator is a viscous loss. You can account for that in a transient analysis using the Acoustics module. In the Transient Pressure Acoustics Model settings select Fluid model = Viscous. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.