Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Heat transfer - defining function to calcutate stress by using calculated temperatures from COMSOL

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everybody,

I'm new to COMSOL Multiphysics. At the moment I am simulating a heat flux passing through a cylindrical sample using the 2D axis symmetrical function. COMSOL gave me back the temperature of the sample at "every point" and at every defined time (t=0 until t=500s) of my sample. I have a 2D revolution of my sample.
But now, is it somehow possible to define a custom physical function to calcutate the thermal stress by using the temperature from COMSOL? Is it then also possible to make a 2D revolution plot but not with temperature but then with the stress as a variable?

I tried to define a analytic function (right click on global definitions ) but i somehow can't connect it to the results from COMSOL. I then defined my parameter E (youngs modulus), a (thermal expansion coefficient) and T_0 (ambient temperature).

Does anyone have experience with such problems?

Best
Ruiyi

2 Replies Last Post Jan 28, 2014, 4:43 a.m. EST
Zoran Vidakovic, COMSOL COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 31, 2013, 8:04 a.m. EDT
Dear Ruiyi,

Welcome as new user to the COMSOL forum!
What you describe is possible to solve with COMSOL. There are two main approaches:
1) Solve heat transfer and structural mechanics (thermal expansion) with the individual physics interfaces (either sequentially or simultaneously)
2) Use a precoupled physics interface (e.g. Thermal Stress)

You can find many tutorials in the Model Library (View > Model Library) or on our webpage: www.ch.comsol.com/models

Also, I recommend you to work with the latest COMSOL version (currently 4.3b) if you have access to.

I hope this helps to kick-start your simulation project!

Best regards,
Zoran
Dear Ruiyi, Welcome as new user to the COMSOL forum! What you describe is possible to solve with COMSOL. There are two main approaches: 1) Solve heat transfer and structural mechanics (thermal expansion) with the individual physics interfaces (either sequentially or simultaneously) 2) Use a precoupled physics interface (e.g. Thermal Stress) You can find many tutorials in the Model Library (View > Model Library) or on our webpage: http://www.ch.comsol.com/models Also, I recommend you to work with the latest COMSOL version (currently 4.3b) if you have access to. I hope this helps to kick-start your simulation project! Best regards, Zoran

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 28, 2014, 4:43 a.m. EST
Hi Ruiyi,

I am modeling heat transfer induced in body tissue due to electric current and I would like to know if you found any answers for your own question in how to relate the function to the results of modeling. I mean how to define a function that shows how temperature has changed.

I would appreciate your help.
Hi Ruiyi, I am modeling heat transfer induced in body tissue due to electric current and I would like to know if you found any answers for your own question in how to relate the function to the results of modeling. I mean how to define a function that shows how temperature has changed. I would appreciate your help.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.