Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

2D Depth in 4.3a

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am relatively new to COMSOL. I am using version 4.3a. My issue is with heat transfer in solids, specifically the depth to my geometry. It is my understanding that the default depth is 1m. Since my model's scale is much smaller than this, mm, it throws off all off the calculations.

My question is how do I change the default depth to a specified depth. Should I simply make a 3d model instead? I was hoping to compare both 2d and 3d computations.

Thank you for any advice/help

1 Reply Last Post Nov 11, 2013, 3:32 a.m. EST
Alberto Garcia-Cristobal

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 11, 2013, 3:32 a.m. EST
HI

As to my experience the values of the thickness doesnt have any big impact. just leave it as '1'. I have used plane strain and plane stress modules (Both are 2D) of the structural mechanics keeping the thickness '1' and got nice result. And What ever values you put for the depth, the general problem will still remain 2D b/c you are using 2D module.

But you have to be VERY CAREFUL that you are correct in changing your 3D problem in to 2D. In some cases youmay need to put additional PDE terms while transforming the original 3D in to 2D problem . If you are not sure of the transformation , you better do the exact problem in 3D

Thanks

HI As to my experience the values of the thickness doesnt have any big impact. just leave it as '1'. I have used plane strain and plane stress modules (Both are 2D) of the structural mechanics keeping the thickness '1' and got nice result. And What ever values you put for the depth, the general problem will still remain 2D b/c you are using 2D module. But you have to be VERY CAREFUL that you are correct in changing your 3D problem in to 2D. In some cases youmay need to put additional PDE terms while transforming the original 3D in to 2D problem . If you are not sure of the transformation , you better do the exact problem in 3D Thanks

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.