Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Sandwich panel - Solid & shell intercation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am a new COMSOL user.
I am trying to model a sandwich panel maiden of a wood core and carbon fiber skin.

My idea is to model the core with solid and the skin as shell.
I have already read some topics about solid-shell interaction and I know I mus apply a prescribed displacement to the solid due to shell displacement.

The problem I am not really practice with COMSOL and I'd like some one explain me main steps to do it.

Thanks.

6 Replies Last Post Nov 26, 2013, 11:21 a.m. EST
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 21, 2013, 8:08 a.m. EST
Hello Pasquale,
The very-soon-to-be-released version 4.4 brings significant ease-of-use improvements when coupling shells and solids. If at all possible, I would recommend you wait a few days for 4.4 to be available to start work on this.
Best,
Jeff
Hello Pasquale, The very-soon-to-be-released version 4.4 brings significant ease-of-use improvements when coupling shells and solids. If at all possible, I would recommend you wait a few days for 4.4 to be available to start work on this. Best, Jeff

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 21, 2013, 11:07 a.m. EST
Hi,

For a thin shell there might be a shortcut:

If the shell thickness is small when compared to the solid thickness, then the fact that the true shell midsurface is placed above the solid face can be ignored. In this case you could just model the shell on the boundary which is the face of the solid. In such an approach, you can simply change the name of the displacement degree of freedom in the shell interface from say u2 to u. Then both the Shell interface and the Solid interface have common degrees of freedom.

The relative error in the bending stiffness of the section when using such an approach is of the order 2*shell_thickness/core_thickness, so the shell should be relatively thin.

If you want to use the more correct approach in version 4.3b or earlier, then you need to map the results in the shell onto the solid boundary by an extrusion coupling operator, and then prescribe the displacements on the solid based on the values from the shell. The expression for u (in the solid) would then look something like genext1(u2+arx*shell.d/2)

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, For a thin shell there might be a shortcut: If the shell thickness is small when compared to the solid thickness, then the fact that the true shell midsurface is placed above the solid face can be ignored. In this case you could just model the shell on the boundary which is the face of the solid. In such an approach, you can simply change the name of the displacement degree of freedom in the shell interface from say u2 to u. Then both the Shell interface and the Solid interface have common degrees of freedom. The relative error in the bending stiffness of the section when using such an approach is of the order 2*shell_thickness/core_thickness, so the shell should be relatively thin. If you want to use the more correct approach in version 4.3b or earlier, then you need to map the results in the shell onto the solid boundary by an extrusion coupling operator, and then prescribe the displacements on the solid based on the values from the shell. The expression for u (in the solid) would then look something like genext1(u2+arx*shell.d/2) Regards, Henrik

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 21, 2013, 12:01 p.m. EST
Hi Henrik,
you was very useful.

Your approach is very fast and simple. I want just a clarification about the error i do using this approach.

In my case I have a 33mm core and a 3mm skin, applying your equation the result is 0.182
In which sense 0.182 represents the error? it's a percentage error or is the indication that the error i do is in the order of 10^-1?

thanks for your help.
Hi Henrik, you was very useful. Your approach is very fast and simple. I want just a clarification about the error i do using this approach. In my case I have a 33mm core and a 3mm skin, applying your equation the result is 0.182 In which sense 0.182 represents the error? it's a percentage error or is the indication that the error i do is in the order of 10^-1? thanks for your help.

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 22, 2013, 2:13 a.m. EST
Hi,

With your numbers, you will underestimate the section bending stiffness with ~18% if you use the true geometry of the core. The bending stiffness is essentially proportional to the square of the distance between the shells, so the error approximation better than just 'order of magnitude'.

If you however increase the core thickness in your model to 36 mm, you will get a rather accurate bending stiffness. In the other hand, you will overestimate the shear stiffness with 10%, since it is proportional to the core thickness.

Depending on the type of effects you are investigating in your analysis, different approaches will be more or less useful. You could for example use a 36 mm core with a 10% reduction in elastic properties to compensate.

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, With your numbers, you will underestimate the section bending stiffness with ~18% if you use the true geometry of the core. The bending stiffness is essentially proportional to the square of the distance between the shells, so the error approximation better than just 'order of magnitude'. If you however increase the core thickness in your model to 36 mm, you will get a rather accurate bending stiffness. In the other hand, you will overestimate the shear stiffness with 10%, since it is proportional to the core thickness. Depending on the type of effects you are investigating in your analysis, different approaches will be more or less useful. You could for example use a 36 mm core with a 10% reduction in elastic properties to compensate. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 22, 2013, 2:11 p.m. EST
Hi Henrik,
thanks for your help.

The task of my analysis is to simulate a 3 point bending test.
I have simulated just half panel, applied a simmetry condition and a load edge, a pinned edge constrain.

Which approach do you suggest in this case?

If I want develope the correct approach which steps I need to follow? there is a guide I can read?
I have found no topics in the forum or in comsol help.

Best regards,
Pasquale.
Hi Henrik, thanks for your help. The task of my analysis is to simulate a 3 point bending test. I have simulated just half panel, applied a simmetry condition and a load edge, a pinned edge constrain. Which approach do you suggest in this case? If I want develope the correct approach which steps I need to follow? there is a guide I can read? I have found no topics in the forum or in comsol help. Best regards, Pasquale.

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 26, 2013, 11:21 a.m. EST
Hi Pasquale,

Which approach you should use must be determined by judging several factors

- Aspect ratio of the specimen (bending or shear dominated?)
- Accuracy requirements
- Is it OK when you present the results to have used 'tricks'?

Also note that with the dimension you have, it is actually possible to use solid elements also in the skin.

There are no examples in the Model Library which would guide you here.

Regards,
Henrik
Hi Pasquale, Which approach you should use must be determined by judging several factors - Aspect ratio of the specimen (bending or shear dominated?) - Accuracy requirements - Is it OK when you present the results to have used 'tricks'? Also note that with the dimension you have, it is actually possible to use solid elements also in the skin. There are no examples in the Model Library which would guide you here. Regards, Henrik

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.