Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Choosing Font Type Via the Preferences Menu

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello All,

I would like to choose a different font type to be displaced in my graphics window.

Reading the documentation, the way to do this is to go to preferences->Graphics-> Load System Fonts.

Then it should be possible to select a different font family than default.

Does anyone know where COMSOL looks when "Load system fonts" is checked?

When i check the box and restart COMSOL, the only font family available from the drop down list is still the default.

I'm using Mac OS X (10.6.8 to be specific). According to apple, there are 5 different places where fonts are stored and used by the operating system. (see support.apple.com/kb/ht2435).

If anyone has ran into this issue and knows the solution, any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Andrew Young.

4 Replies Last Post Dec 9, 2013, 2:25 a.m. EST
Gunnar Andersson COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 29, 2013, 7:47 a.m. EST

It will be a thanksgiving miracle if my question gets answered today.

The support for loading system fonts is currently limited to the Windows version of COMSOL Multiphysics.

Happy Thanksgiving!
[QUOTE] It will be a thanksgiving miracle if my question gets answered today. [/QUOTE] The support for loading system fonts is currently limited to the Windows version of COMSOL Multiphysics. Happy Thanksgiving!

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 29, 2013, 11:00 a.m. EST
Aw darn.

Well, i shall try it out in boot camp with windows 7.

Thank you for answering my question.

Happy Thanksgiving to you too!!
Aw darn. Well, i shall try it out in boot camp with windows 7. Thank you for answering my question. Happy Thanksgiving to you too!!

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 30, 2013, 2:21 a.m. EST
Loading the system fonts into COMSOL under Windows 7 sort of seems to work, but not quite.

You do get a pull down list of font to choose from, but choosing a font type/size then clicking apply seems to have no effect on the GUI or on the images generated when clicking on the camera icon in the graphics window.

I tested that this was the case by attempting to select very noticeable fonts such as the dreaded Comic Sans and Wingdings, but the figure font still looks like it's using COMSOL's default text.

I also tried saving the file after applying the changes, closing COMSOL, and rebooting COMSOL, but i ended up with the same results.

Maybe i'm misinterpreting what the font type and size selection in the preference window is supposed to do?
Loading the system fonts into COMSOL under Windows 7 sort of seems to work, but not quite. You do get a pull down list of font to choose from, but choosing a font type/size then clicking apply seems to have no effect on the GUI or on the images generated when clicking on the camera icon in the graphics window. I tested that this was the case by attempting to select very noticeable fonts such as the dreaded Comic Sans and Wingdings, but the figure font still looks like it's using COMSOL's default text. I also tried saving the file after applying the changes, closing COMSOL, and rebooting COMSOL, but i ended up with the same results. Maybe i'm misinterpreting what the font type and size selection in the preference window is supposed to do?

Gunnar Andersson COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 9, 2013, 2:25 a.m. EST

Loading the system fonts into COMSOL under Windows 7 sort of seems to work, but not quite.

You do get a pull down list of font to choose from, but choosing a font type/size then clicking apply seems to have no effect on the GUI or on the images generated when clicking on the camera icon in the graphics window.

I tested that this was the case by attempting to select very noticeable fonts such as the dreaded Comic Sans and Wingdings, but the figure font still looks like it's using COMSOL's default text.

I also tried saving the file after applying the changes, closing COMSOL, and rebooting COMSOL, but i ended up with the same results.

Maybe i'm misinterpreting what the font type and size selection in the preference window is supposed to do?

The font that you choose in the Preferences is used when you create a new model. To change the font in an existing model, go to the root node in the Model Builder: In the Font section at the bottom of the settings window, you can choose font family and font size.

[QUOTE] Loading the system fonts into COMSOL under Windows 7 sort of seems to work, but not quite. You do get a pull down list of font to choose from, but choosing a font type/size then clicking apply seems to have no effect on the GUI or on the images generated when clicking on the camera icon in the graphics window. I tested that this was the case by attempting to select very noticeable fonts such as the dreaded Comic Sans and Wingdings, but the figure font still looks like it's using COMSOL's default text. I also tried saving the file after applying the changes, closing COMSOL, and rebooting COMSOL, but i ended up with the same results. Maybe i'm misinterpreting what the font type and size selection in the preference window is supposed to do? [/QUOTE] The font that you choose in the Preferences is used when you create a new model. To change the font in an existing model, go to the root node in the Model Builder: In the Font section at the bottom of the settings window, you can choose font family and font size.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.