Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Tracking position of isothermal or general contour curve in 1D plot

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

I have very simple model where copper plate is heated by a pulsed laser (transient study, 2D, see file surfaceplot_1).
Now, I am searching for a way to track the position/depth of my melting and vaporisation temperature over time during the laser pulse.
I would like to have a 1D plot at the defined x-position (e.g. the center of the pulse) where I can see the y-coordinate of my isothermal (T_melt or T_vap) as a function of the time (meaning y = f (T_melt, t) or y = f(T_vap, t)).

I know that I can plot defined isothermal curves in a contour plot and than manually extract the position of the the curve at a corresponding position for each time step which is however very inefficient (see file contourplot_1).

I have been playing around with 1D cuts etc. trying to get what I need, however not very successful so far. I could setup a number of points along y at a certain x-position and the plot the temperature of each point over time the get an estimate of the depth evolution of my defined temperatures. However, this also doesn't really hit the point.

Any ideas/hints would be greatly appreciated.

Best wishes
Christian

3 Replies Last Post Apr 19, 2016, 7:17 a.m. EDT
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 4, 2013, 5:37 p.m. EST
How about this? Define a Cut Line 2D data set at the x you care about, then under Derived Values add a Line Integration node that integrates (T>Tcritical) over your Cut Line 2D. Then turn the resulting table into a plot by clicking the Table Graph icon. This will graph the depth reached by your Tcritical isotherm at the x in question.

Example attached.
Jeff
How about this? Define a Cut Line 2D data set at the x you care about, then under Derived Values add a Line Integration node that integrates (T>Tcritical) over your Cut Line 2D. Then turn the resulting table into a plot by clicking the Table Graph icon. This will graph the depth reached by your Tcritical isotherm at the x in question. Example attached. Jeff

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 5, 2013, 3:21 a.m. EST
Great. Many Thanks Jeff.
Best
Christian
Great. Many Thanks Jeff. Best Christian

Posted: 8 years ago Apr 19, 2016, 7:17 a.m. EDT
Hi Jeff,

I have a similar question. I want to know the depth of a isothermal line but it folds back on itself. The line integration will then just give me the length of the cut line where the temp is above the isoline. Is there a way to get the depths at which the isothermal line crosses the cut line?

Kind regards,

Harm
Hi Jeff, I have a similar question. I want to know the depth of a isothermal line but it folds back on itself. The line integration will then just give me the length of the cut line where the temp is above the isoline. Is there a way to get the depths at which the isothermal line crosses the cut line? Kind regards, Harm

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.