Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Gaussian Distribution of Particle Size

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi folks,

does anyone know if it's possible to use a Gaussian Distribution of Particle Size function for the particle diameter in the Mixture Model interface? If so, can you provide an example?

Best Regards,

Rui

1 Reply Last Post Jan 22, 2015, 7:02 p.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Rui Silva

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago Jan 22, 2015, 7:02 p.m. EST
Hello Rui,

I found something about randomization of particle peoperties here

www.comsol.es/community/forums/general/thread/32626/

but it is for the particle tracing module. The problem I see in the Mixture module is the impossibility to distinguish between different sizes. You have only one phid to monitor. It is maybe better to model these particles using the particle tracing for fluid flow module. I will investigate this, especially because is the only place where I have seen the possibility to add particle-to-particle interaction. A remaining problem to address in the Mixture Module is the increase of the continuous phase level as more of the dispersed phase particles are added. We need the moving mesh here.

I will post this message tomorrow with my input file on a new thread "I am new to the CFD module and the problem I would like to solve is decantation of particles/droplets of the same phase but different diameter (ideally randomized) through another phase. The two liquids are immiscible and starting from the nice Dense Suspension model (ID: 2161) I managed to get the dispersed phase decantating under gravity. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to distinguish between the various diameter of the dispersed phase and track them. Adding a new Mixture Properties node is not possible as it disables the first one. If not, is there another module which could help me to model the decantation of particles with different sizes and possible interaction among them, as they fall? Please, let me know, if you have encountered similar problems and how far have you got! Is particle tracing a better option, as I know it works for particles in air flow?"

Cheers!
Cristian
Hello Rui, I found something about randomization of particle peoperties here http://www.comsol.es/community/forums/general/thread/32626/ but it is for the particle tracing module. The problem I see in the Mixture module is the impossibility to distinguish between different sizes. You have only one phid to monitor. It is maybe better to model these particles using the particle tracing for fluid flow module. I will investigate this, especially because is the only place where I have seen the possibility to add particle-to-particle interaction. A remaining problem to address in the Mixture Module is the increase of the continuous phase level as more of the dispersed phase particles are added. We need the moving mesh here. I will post this message tomorrow with my input file on a new thread "I am new to the CFD module and the problem I would like to solve is decantation of particles/droplets of the same phase but different diameter (ideally randomized) through another phase. The two liquids are immiscible and starting from the nice Dense Suspension model (ID: 2161) I managed to get the dispersed phase decantating under gravity. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to distinguish between the various diameter of the dispersed phase and track them. Adding a new Mixture Properties node is not possible as it disables the first one. If not, is there another module which could help me to model the decantation of particles with different sizes and possible interaction among them, as they fall? Please, let me know, if you have encountered similar problems and how far have you got! Is particle tracing a better option, as I know it works for particles in air flow?" Cheers! Cristian

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.