Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

TiO2 Absorption Spectra

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi.

I am studying the plasmonic effects of gold nanoparticles on a substrate (TiO2) and have successfully used the Scatterer on Substrate model to do this. I am able to produce an absorption spectrum with the nanoparticle present however I also want to be able to compare this spectra with one without the nanoparticle. I tried using the same technique whereby I create a volume within the substrate (100x100x20nm), set up a integration over this volume, and then used the formula:

Integration_volume(emw.Qh)/Power_In

The results I get from this however are tiny e-33 and fluctutate around zero even within UV regions where I would have expected some absorption by the TiO2. Has anyone had experience in doing this and can tell me where I am going wrong?

Many Thanks,
Josh

2 Replies Last Post Apr 12, 2017, 1:04 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 21, 2014, 4:20 p.m. EST
Josh,
I believe that the oscillator producing absorption is the nanoparticle. In the as supplied model there is no absorption in the substrate. So when you remove the nanoparticle you should see zero absorption, or e-33 as you did. You could look up an absorption spectra and put it into the model, then run it again with and without the nanoparticle.
Josh, I believe that the oscillator producing absorption is the nanoparticle. In the as supplied model there is no absorption in the substrate. So when you remove the nanoparticle you should see zero absorption, or e-33 as you did. You could look up an absorption spectra and put it into the model, then run it again with and without the nanoparticle.

Posted: 7 years ago Apr 12, 2017, 1:04 a.m. EDT
What is the size of your gold particles on Tio2 substrate??? I believe there should be higher absorption cross-sectional area than those values you mentioned, Can you please share your model??

Thanks
What is the size of your gold particles on Tio2 substrate??? I believe there should be higher absorption cross-sectional area than those values you mentioned, Can you please share your model?? Thanks

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.