Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Cut 3D Geometry in Version 4.3a

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

For my calculations I only need a quarter of the whole geometry that I built because of symmetry reasons.
I tried to find out how to cut a geometry but didn't really get it. There were some examples with workplanes.
I tried with Blocks that I differentiate from my geometry so that only a quarter is left. But how can I then apply the symmetry node to the cutting plane? I tried by adding workplanes there but now I get a error in Form Union.
The file is attached.

2 Replies Last Post Feb 13, 2014, 8:26 a.m. EST
Sven Friedel COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 13, 2014, 7:52 a.m. EST
Hi Anina,

add a cube in the position of the quarter you want to keep,
and then uuse the boolean operation "intersection" between both.

Sven
Hi Anina, add a cube in the position of the quarter you want to keep, and then uuse the boolean operation "intersection" between both. Sven

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 13, 2014, 8:26 a.m. EST
Thanks for the answer. But there are different geometries in each other. Is there a way to do the intersection between several geometry units and my new defined block? Otherwise I only get the quarter of the outermost block and all things inside stay the same.
Thanks for the answer. But there are different geometries in each other. Is there a way to do the intersection between several geometry units and my new defined block? Otherwise I only get the quarter of the outermost block and all things inside stay the same.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.