Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Flow between concentric cylinders

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone

My name is Nader and I switched from FLUENT to COMSOL for my research and I am trying to learn it, I am working on modeling of fluid between two concentric cylinders but I dont know how to solve it, I used different models with different tolerance numbers but it gives me the same answer that FAILED TO FIND THE SOLUTION, how should I find out which one of these models are good for what?

cheers

3 Replies Last Post Sep 22, 2010, 2:49 p.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 28, 2010, 5:21 a.m. EDT
There is a flow example in models of comsol (multiphysics->fluid dynamics)

usually relative set to 0.001, and abs set to 1e-4 (0.1mm) should work. you should also have enough fine mesh too.
There is a flow example in models of comsol (multiphysics->fluid dynamics) usually relative set to 0.001, and abs set to 1e-4 (0.1mm) should work. you should also have enough fine mesh too.

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 28, 2010, 5:23 a.m. EDT
and one more thing: ramp your in flow in transient flows using flc2hs function on the inlet boundary. this way you relax the solver.

you can also use steady-state solution as the initial state too.
and one more thing: ramp your in flow in transient flows using flc2hs function on the inlet boundary. this way you relax the solver. you can also use steady-state solution as the initial state too.

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 22, 2010, 2:49 p.m. EDT
Hi
When I use rotating velocity of 0.001[1/s] for inner cylinder it works quite well but when I increase the rotating velocity it start to diverge. unfortunately, i couldnt implement correct smoothing function for boundary condition.

Vx = w*y
Vy= -w*x

these are the boundary conditions and i dont know how to use smoothing functions like flc2hs for this case for the case of having a wave or heaviside function it works well but not for here.

Hi When I use rotating velocity of 0.001[1/s] for inner cylinder it works quite well but when I increase the rotating velocity it start to diverge. unfortunately, i couldnt implement correct smoothing function for boundary condition. Vx = w*y Vy= -w*x these are the boundary conditions and i dont know how to use smoothing functions like flc2hs for this case for the case of having a wave or heaviside function it works well but not for here.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.