Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Caculate the boundary force through surface integration of von mises stress

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone , just wanna ask a simple question.

The simulation is performed under structual mechanics.

Geometry is a cone, whose top redius is 0.009um, bottom radius is 5um, height is 9um. Material is silicon.

I applied a boundary load of 1e-6N total force (z direction only) on the top of the cone, and a fixed constraint on the bottom.

I run a stationery study. What I expected is that when I do the surface integration of von mises stress, the calculated force should be more or less 1e-6N, but what I get is 5.8e-9N.

Could anyone tell me what the problem is, please? Thanks a lot.

4 Replies Last Post Feb 20, 2014, 11:35 a.m. EST
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 19, 2014, 8:44 a.m. EST
You should do the surface integration of the stress component normal to the surface, not the Mises stress.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
You should do the surface integration of the stress component normal to the surface, not the Mises stress. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 20, 2014, 10:51 a.m. EST
Thanks Nagi

Could you tell me if there is other way to calculate the force?
Thanks Nagi Could you tell me if there is other way to calculate the force?

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 20, 2014, 11:31 a.m. EST
Since you apply the load in the Z-direction and I assume you apply it on a surface in the X-Y plane, you should integrate the Z component of the stress tensor.
Since you apply the load in the Z-direction and I assume you apply it on a surface in the X-Y plane, you should integrate the Z component of the stress tensor.

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 20, 2014, 11:35 a.m. EST
I get it. Thanks a lot.
I get it. Thanks a lot.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.