Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

A few questions regarding the "Scatterer On Substrate" model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,

I had a few questions about the "Scatterer On Substrate" model. My understanding is that the general strategy is to solve for the field in the absence of the scatterer, then put the scatterer back in and solve for the scattered field. My first question: is it possible instead just to solve for the total field with the scatterer in place, and then extract the scattered field from that?

When the scatterer is in place, PMLs are used to absorb the scattered field, so this simulation is only for a single particle on a substrate. My second question: How does one implement periodic boundary conditions for the scattered field, so that an array of particles can be simulated instead?

My third question: If, instead of a particle, I wanted to simulate the effect of a surface texture (like a 3D pyramid cut out of the surface of silicon), would the strategy above be applicable? I.E solve for the field in the absence of the pyramid, then cut the pyramid out of the surface and solve for the scattered field?

Thanks
-Kevin

1 Reply Last Post Aug 18, 2014, 6:22 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Kevin Boyd

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Mohammad Parvinnezhad Hokmabadi

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 10 years ago Aug 18, 2014, 6:22 p.m. EDT
Hey Kevin,

Did you try put periodic instead of PML in your simulation? (your second question).
If so, id it working?

Thanks,
Mohammad
Hey Kevin, Did you try put periodic instead of PML in your simulation? (your second question). If so, id it working? Thanks, Mohammad

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.