Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

meshing long and thin wire

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I need to create long and thin wire with different length of (500,700,1000)m, and radius of (0.315mm) and layer of insulator of (0.135 mm) in (2D) axi-symmetrical. But when I add the insulator layer and trying to mesh it using mapped mesh I got error of ‘’Can’t create mapped mesh for this geometry’’ .

but when I mesh it without the insulator it will be fine and no problem , except for longer wire more that 700 m.

Is there are any way to mesh the geometry with two layer? And can I create wires with length of 1000 m and radius of 0.315 mm?
I attache a simple geometry using painter.

Best Regards,
Hazlee

6 Replies Last Post Apr 6, 2014, 1:54 a.m. EDT
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 5, 2014, 9:09 a.m. EDT

Hazlee,

such large aspect ratio in a model is always a problem. You should consider whether you real have to do it like that. What is the objective of this model?

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Hazlee, such large aspect ratio in a model is always a problem. You should consider whether you real have to do it like that. What is the objective of this model? Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 5, 2014, 10:43 a.m. EDT
Dear Edgar ,

In my study i need to check the temperature characteristic and distribution for real communication wire, that has minimum length of 500 m until 5 km length.

Is that possible in comsol ? i used 2D axis symmetric because in 3 D has more limitation.

Thanks alot

Regards,

Hazlee
Dear Edgar , In my study i need to check the temperature characteristic and distribution for real communication wire, that has minimum length of 500 m until 5 km length. Is that possible in comsol ? i used 2D axis symmetric because in 3 D has more limitation. Thanks alot Regards, Hazlee

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 5, 2014, 11:54 a.m. EDT
Hazlee,

I assume that there is not much variation of that temperature distribution along the wire to be expected. If this is true then it is a typical case for a 2D planar study. What you model then is the cross section of wire and insulation and the length of the wire is taken to be infinite. The cross section can then easily be meshed with high enough resolution.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
Hazlee, I assume that there is not much variation of that temperature distribution along the wire to be expected. If this is true then it is a typical case for a 2D planar study. What you model then is the cross section of wire and insulation and the length of the wire is taken to be infinite. The cross section can then easily be meshed with high enough resolution. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 5, 2014, 2:58 p.m. EDT
Dear Edgar,

you are right that the distribution of temperature along the wire don't have big variation. and i can study in 2D study . but i need to check the transient time that it needed to reach the steady state and this i find it using 2D. so for every length of the wire it has different transient time and this what i need to check it also.

Regards,
Hazlee
Dear Edgar, you are right that the distribution of temperature along the wire don't have big variation. and i can study in 2D study . but i need to check the transient time that it needed to reach the steady state and this i find it using 2D. so for every length of the wire it has different transient time and this what i need to check it also. Regards, Hazlee

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 5, 2014, 4:01 p.m. EDT

but i need to check the transient time that it needed to reach the steady state and this i find it using 2D. so for every length of the wire it has different transient time and this what i need to check it also.

I don't think that the transient time to steady state depends on the length in your case. We are talking about a ratio of 0.3 mm / >500 m! As soon as you are, say 1 m away from the ends, the wire extension in either direction is close to infinite. If you are interested in the ends of the wire you can set up a short 2D axisymetric model and find out how long it has to be (in a parameter study) to make the lenght impact disappear. I am sure it is less than 10 or 20 cm.
Maybe I don't understand the task completely.

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
www.emphys.com
[QUOTE] but i need to check the transient time that it needed to reach the steady state and this i find it using 2D. so for every length of the wire it has different transient time and this what i need to check it also. [/QUOTE] I don't think that the transient time to steady state depends on the length in your case. We are talking about a ratio of 0.3 mm / >500 m! As soon as you are, say 1 m away from the ends, the wire extension in either direction is close to infinite. If you are interested in the ends of the wire you can set up a short 2D axisymetric model and find out how long it has to be (in a parameter study) to make the lenght impact disappear. I am sure it is less than 10 or 20 cm. Maybe I don't understand the task completely. -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 6, 2014, 1:54 a.m. EDT
Dear Edgar,

for different length of the wire mostly there will be different temperature - time characteristic , because when the length increases the losses and voltage drop will increase that will heat the wire.

i did my model until 500 m in 2D axissymetric , but when i add layer of the insulation i got an error in meshing.

Regards,
Hazlee
Dear Edgar, for different length of the wire mostly there will be different temperature - time characteristic , because when the length increases the losses and voltage drop will increase that will heat the wire. i did my model until 500 m in 2D axissymetric , but when i add layer of the insulation i got an error in meshing. Regards, Hazlee

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.