Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to excite a Microstrip?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear community,

i am currently designing a microwave resonator consisting of microstrips.

Does anyone know how to put an excitation just along one strip, as in a coax cable without outer conductor?

I havent found that in any complete model.
The port and lumped port can only apply fields or voltages between two adjacent parts of my geometry, if i got it correctly.

Thank you a lot in advance

4 Replies Last Post Apr 14, 2014, 8:43 a.m. EDT
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 8, 2014, 4:58 a.m. EDT
Hi Alex,

a coaxial cable with stripped off outer conductor can be seen like being excited by a lumped port between the end of the shield and the center wire.
Maybe you have to explain your requirements a little clearer, e.g. with a sketch

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Hi Alex, a coaxial cable with stripped off outer conductor can be seen like being excited by a lumped port between the end of the shield and the center wire. Maybe you have to explain your requirements a little clearer, e.g. with a sketch Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 8, 2014, 7:40 a.m. EDT
Thanks for your fast response!

If i just remove the outer conductor, I think there will be impedance matching troubles.

There are devices called coaxial to microstrip connector, but since there isnt something like that in comsol, I will try using an AC voltage as drawn in the PNG.

Is there a way to connect my resonator to the external circuit? There is no real 'port', the resonator is a thin layer of copper forming an omega.

Best regards
Alex
Thanks for your fast response! If i just remove the outer conductor, I think there will be impedance matching troubles. There are devices called coaxial to microstrip connector, but since there isnt something like that in comsol, I will try using an AC voltage as drawn in the PNG. Is there a way to connect my resonator to the external circuit? There is no real 'port', the resonator is a thin layer of copper forming an omega. Best regards Alex

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 8, 2014, 9:28 a.m. EDT

How do you realize ground in your model? A microstrip has a ground plane under the strip.

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
How do you realize ground in your model? A microstrip has a ground plane under the strip. -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 14, 2014, 8:43 a.m. EDT
Hi,

as everytime after asking questions, I got some insights and ideas, so my model advanced, I attached it.

I wanted to make a microstrip similar to the goubau line, without ground plane, but then decided to realize the ground by another strip.

Could you please give me a hint how to improve my meshing? Solver warns me of low minimum element quality but i dont see any other possibility to sensibly resolve my structure.

Is there an option to find the resonance frequency instead of searching the maximum of
(Pport_1-Pelement_1)/Pport_1?

I would be again really glad if u could help me

cheers
Alex
Hi, as everytime after asking questions, I got some insights and ideas, so my model advanced, I attached it. I wanted to make a microstrip similar to the goubau line, without ground plane, but then decided to realize the ground by another strip. Could you please give me a hint how to improve my meshing? Solver warns me of low minimum element quality but i dont see any other possibility to sensibly resolve my structure. Is there an option to find the resonance frequency instead of searching the maximum of (Pport_1-Pelement_1)/Pport_1? I would be again really glad if u could help me cheers Alex

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.