Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

volume expansion

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I'd like to simulate volume expansion of one materials by using Structural Mechanics, when the temperature change from room temperature (300K) to a high temperature (for example, 1350K). I want to get 2.2 times volume expansion. But no matter how big the CTE (coefficient of thermal expansion) is, I did not get 2.2 times volume expansion. There is only a small volume expansion. I want to ask how to simulate the large volume expansion. Thank you.

3 Replies Last Post Apr 10, 2014, 1:30 a.m. EDT
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 8, 2014, 11:05 p.m. EDT
Hi Huashun,

It may be just a post-processing issue. COMSOL could be getting you large volume change but then when plotting the results it scales displacements. In most cases the displacements the displacements are much smaller than the structure and are scaled up so that you can see the deformed geometry. However, in cases where you have large displacements they will be scaled down. Turn off displacement scaling and also calculate the volume integral.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Hi Huashun, It may be just a post-processing issue. COMSOL could be getting you large volume change but then when plotting the results it scales displacements. In most cases the displacements the displacements are much smaller than the structure and are scaled up so that you can see the deformed geometry. However, in cases where you have large displacements they will be scaled down. Turn off displacement scaling and also calculate the volume integral. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 9, 2014, 8:58 p.m. EDT

Hi Nagi,

Thanks for answering. Followed what you said, I have gotten large volume expansion by setting the scale factor=1. Another question is how to calculate the volume after expansion. The volume of the initial structure is calculated, but I do not know how to calculate the volume after expansion. Thank you so much.

Wen

Hi Huashun,

It may be just a post-processing issue. COMSOL could be getting you large volume change but then when plotting the results it scales displacements. In most cases the displacements the displacements are much smaller than the structure and are scaled up so that you can see the deformed geometry. However, in cases where you have large displacements they will be scaled down. Turn off displacement scaling and also calculate the volume integral.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering

Hi Nagi, Thanks for answering. Followed what you said, I have gotten large volume expansion by setting the scale factor=1. Another question is how to calculate the volume after expansion. The volume of the initial structure is calculated, but I do not know how to calculate the volume after expansion. Thank you so much. Wen [QUOTE] Hi Huashun, It may be just a post-processing issue. COMSOL could be getting you large volume change but then when plotting the results it scales displacements. In most cases the displacements the displacements are much smaller than the structure and are scaled up so that you can see the deformed geometry. However, in cases where you have large displacements they will be scaled down. Turn off displacement scaling and also calculate the volume integral. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering [/QUOTE]

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 10, 2014, 1:30 a.m. EDT
Hi,

In order to compute the deformed volume, you can integrate the number '1' over the volme. The integral must be performed on the Spatial frame. In order to have a spatial frame which reflects the deformed coordinates, the study must be geometrically nonlinear.

Note that with volume changes as large as in your problem, the interpretation of thermal expansion coefficients is nontrivial.

Regards,
Henrik

Hi, In order to compute the deformed volume, you can integrate the number '1' over the volme. The integral must be performed on the Spatial frame. In order to have a spatial frame which reflects the deformed coordinates, the study must be geometrically nonlinear. Note that with volume changes as large as in your problem, the interpretation of thermal expansion coefficients is nontrivial. Regards, Henrik

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.