Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

lumped port

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear comsol users,

I am currently working with COMSOL to investigate the heating and sintering of largevolumes of ceramic materials.

In one, very easy model, I use a huge parallel plate capacitor with the material to be heated between those two plates. I use a lumped port to define a voltage drop between these two plates with a frequency of 27.12MHz. I thought that this lumped port itself doesn't have a physical meaning, that it just defines a voltage drop between two metal plates. In my models the lumped port has a significant effect on the electrical field as can be seen on the figure. In the figure is seen that there is 'a hole' in the electrical field where the field should be homogenious.

I read the manual but it doesn't really make clear what the physical meaning of a lumped port is or how to remove the effect it has on the electrical field between the two plates.

So my question: is there a way to define a voltage drop between two plates without influencing the electrical field between these two plates. Am I obliged to make a lumped coax port? Suggestions are highly appreciated!

Kind regards,

Cedric

0 Replies Last Post Apr 7, 2010, 9:43 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Cedric Weyns

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.