Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Please help - Maxwell Boundary element integral

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I'm trying to solve Maxwell electrostatic surface integral equation,

lambda*U(r) = 1/(2*pi)* Integrate( U(r') (r-r')/(abs(r-r'))^3 ds)

for a sphere. Lambda is an eigenvalue and the integration is over the surface of the sphere. I used weak form boundary (wb) module as mentioned in (www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/3389 ) by Marc Jouan. I used boundary free mesh and solved for eigenvalues near 0.

However, the results I'm getting is quite different from the known Mie theory results. ( The lambda for lowest dipole mode should be around 0.333). But here result doesn't even give a dipole.

It seems this is a very simple simulation but, even after so many efforts I still cannot figure out what goes wrong here. Please can any one be kind enough to look at my model and give some feed back. I have also attached the example given in above link.

Thanks in advance
Ind Atan

0 Replies Last Post Jun 9, 2014, 3:20 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Ind Atan

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.