Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Algorithm to compute the Von Mises stress

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear Sirs,

I am currently carrying out a Finite Element Analysis of Arterial Tissue Mechanics in Comsol. My problem concerns the algorithm that is used in Comsol to compute the Von Mises stress given the displacement field of the computational domain.

Does Comsol use and smoothing procedure to post-process the displacement and get nice plots of the Von Mises stress? Before Comsol I was using another software and, with the same smooth and continuous solution I am obtainig now with Comsol, I was getting strong local variations of the Von Mises stress due to (my guess) to the orientation of the elements. This effect is no longer present in the Von Mises stress I compute with Comsol. Do you use any smoothing like Laplacian or Gaussian smoothing, normally employed in surface fairing?

Many thaks for your help.

Paolo Tricerri

1 Reply Last Post Jun 23, 2014, 9:23 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 23, 2014, 9:23 p.m. EDT
Hi

1) you have the equations used for all variables in the "equation view" (or all physics" check the doc and your preferences
2) the plot node contains settings for smoothing across mesh and interpolations, by default these are "on" check the help or doc for the explanations of the different ones

There are several good articles in the KB (Knowledge base of the COMSOL web site, just as well as there are several good explanation in the BLOG section of their site, also for these specific items (try the global search)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi 1) you have the equations used for all variables in the "equation view" (or all physics" check the doc and your preferences 2) the plot node contains settings for smoothing across mesh and interpolations, by default these are "on" check the help or doc for the explanations of the different ones There are several good articles in the KB (Knowledge base of the COMSOL web site, just as well as there are several good explanation in the BLOG section of their site, also for these specific items (try the global search) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.