Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Does COMSOL Utilize FEM or FDM or Both?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

This is kind of a generic question, but I cannot find any straightforward answer searching online or the documentation. Finite Element Modeling as I understand, is more especially suited for structural modeling, while Finite Difference Modeling has application in electromagnetics, for instance. Thus, I assume that COMSOL uses both, but I want to be sure. Of course, there is also CFD and other methods I am sure.

Also, if it does use both, how can I be sure I am using one approach or the other? Is there a way to select which method is used?

4 Replies Last Post Jul 15, 2014, 10:12 a.m. EDT
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 7, 2014, 1:47 p.m. EDT
Hi Derek,

COMSOL is based on finite elements, nothing else.

Cheers
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Hi Derek, COMSOL is based on finite elements, nothing else. Cheers Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 10 years ago Jul 15, 2014, 9:03 a.m. EDT
COMSOL uses finite elements primarily but not exclusively.
Per www.comsol.com/comsol-multiphysics , "Several different methods are used in the add-on modules, including finite element analysis, the finite volume method, the boundary element method, and particle tracing methods, but the emphasis of COMSOL Multiphysics is on the finite element method."
Best,
Jeff
COMSOL uses finite elements primarily but not exclusively. Per http://www.comsol.com/comsol-multiphysics , "Several different methods are used in the add-on modules, including finite element analysis, the finite volume method, the boundary element method, and particle tracing methods, but the emphasis of COMSOL Multiphysics is on the finite element method." Best, Jeff

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 10 years ago Jul 15, 2014, 9:29 a.m. EDT
Hi Jeff,

interesting, I haven't come across that. So coming back to the original poster's question: is it somewhere visible, which method is used in which application case? Is the documentation providing this information?

Thanks,
Edgar

--
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Hi Jeff, interesting, I haven't come across that. So coming back to the original poster's question: is it somewhere visible, which method is used in which application case? Is the documentation providing this information? Thanks, Edgar -- Edgar J. Kaiser emPhys Physical Technology http://www.emphys.com

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 10 years ago Jul 15, 2014, 10:12 a.m. EDT
Yes, it does. For instance, the Semiconductor Module offers both finite element and finite volume discretizations, and you will find this documented in that module's User's Guide, version 4.4, on page 22 and following, along with a discussion of when to use one formulation versus the other and how to see which is used inside the GUI under the Discretization tab.
Jeff
Yes, it does. For instance, the Semiconductor Module offers both finite element and finite volume discretizations, and you will find this documented in that module's User's Guide, version 4.4, on page 22 and following, along with a discussion of when to use one formulation versus the other and how to see which is used inside the GUI under the Discretization tab. Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.