Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Meaning of "Segregated solver steps do not involve all components"

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am making a simple model of a microwave waveguide, something I have done before, but I cannot get the solution to compute because of this error (attached jpg). Usually when I get COMSOL errors, it references some problem in the solver, however the solution turns out to be an error in how I set up the physics of the model. However, I am running out of things to try and I really wish I could trace the error back to the source in a more orderly fashion.

I'm attaching the model as well for reference.

Thanks.

2 Replies Last Post Jul 11, 2014, 3:34 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 11, 2014, 3:31 a.m. EDT
Hi,

check if you really defined segregated steps for all your variables to be solved for. Probably you are missing one or more of them. You can have a look on the "dependent variables" node and compare the variables there with those involved in your segregated steps.

Best regards, Marcel
Hi, check if you really defined segregated steps for all your variables to be solved for. Probably you are missing one or more of them. You can have a look on the "dependent variables" node and compare the variables there with those involved in your segregated steps. Best regards, Marcel

Frank van Gool COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 11, 2014, 3:34 a.m. EDT
Dear Derek,

Your model uses a segregated solver, which does not include all the components which you want to solve for.
You can either go to "Segregated step 1", and add mod1.Sparam2 to the variable list.

Or much easier, Remove the current solver sequence (right click on Solver 1), and rebuilt default solver. This will create a new and correct solver sequence.

This error occurs when you set up your physics, built a solver, and then later add more "complicated" nodes in your physics. In your case probably the Port 2 is added later on.

Best regards,
Frank
Dear Derek, Your model uses a segregated solver, which does not include all the components which you want to solve for. You can either go to "Segregated step 1", and add mod1.Sparam2 to the variable list. Or much easier, Remove the current solver sequence (right click on Solver 1), and rebuilt default solver. This will create a new and correct solver sequence. This error occurs when you set up your physics, built a solver, and then later add more "complicated" nodes in your physics. In your case probably the Port 2 is added later on. Best regards, Frank

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.