Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Curvature using divergence of surface normal

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I want to calculate the curvature of a 3D surface in a 2D axisymmetric model. The variable 'curv' only gives the curvature of the curve in the 2D axisymmetric plane, not the full 3D curvature. For instance, if I were to draw a straight, sloped line in the axisymmetric plane (creating a cone), the variable 'curv' would be equal to zero.

The curvature is proportional to div(n) or, equivalently, dtang(n) where n is the unit normal to the surface. I tried to calculate these by doing d(nr*r,r)/r+d(nz,z) or dtang(nr*r)/r+dtang(nz,z) but it won't output anything. It isn't giving me an error, it just creates a blank plot when I try to plot the curvature vs. arc length of the curve.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong here?

Thanks

1 Reply Last Post Jun 18, 2015, 10:01 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello TGA

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago Jun 18, 2015, 10:01 a.m. EDT
Were you ever able to find a solution to this?

Regards,

Brandon
Were you ever able to find a solution to this? Regards, Brandon

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.