Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

reliability of comsol's solutions

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I have a problem with permanency of comsol's solutions under exactly the same conditions!!!

I got every time different solutions whithout changing anything in model..

I need reaction force(postprocessing/boundary integration) of my sample after compression(prescribed displacement) and the value of this force always changes after "Restart" or even after "Reset model"

P.S. How can I sent my model??? it too big(9 mb) and rar doesnt supports here((((

3 Replies Last Post Apr 13, 2010, 9:58 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 13, 2010, 9:34 a.m. EDT

P.S. How can I sent my model??? it too big(9 mb) and rar doesnt supports here((((

Even after resetting the model ? (Try File > Reset Model) ?
[QUOTE] P.S. How can I sent my model??? it too big(9 mb) and rar doesnt supports here(((( [/QUOTE] Even after resetting the model ? (Try File > Reset Model) ?

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 13, 2010, 9:43 a.m. EDT
yes, it helps a little... now 7mb
but still I can't download it(

interesting that the same procedure without periodic BC is going well...
something wrong with PBC
yes, it helps a little... now 7mb but still I can't download it( interesting that the same procedure without periodic BC is going well... something wrong with PBC

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 13, 2010, 9:58 a.m. EDT
Hi

Two-three thing hough :

with a reset model you clear your results BUT also mesh and you reset the geometry (it might even be saved externally, have to send both files thereafter), for complex models this is not always desired, specially as the mesh might have to be manually rebuild (will be easier in V4), but I agree it has the advantage to reinitialise most variables, settings etc.

Now take some care with reacf() these are for postprocessing I have learned. I have some issues too when I use them in calculations, there I tend to use the traction forces, even if said less accurate, as these are always available, or I use the weak form lm (when they are there, as you have already noticed they are not always there, comes also from the equations and the math)

Finally always ZIP the models before you upload, you gain 50-80% of volume, and even clear/reset the results only i.e. with a "Solve - get initial value"

Have fun Comsoling
Ivar
Hi Two-three thing hough : with a reset model you clear your results BUT also mesh and you reset the geometry (it might even be saved externally, have to send both files thereafter), for complex models this is not always desired, specially as the mesh might have to be manually rebuild (will be easier in V4), but I agree it has the advantage to reinitialise most variables, settings etc. Now take some care with reacf() these are for postprocessing I have learned. I have some issues too when I use them in calculations, there I tend to use the traction forces, even if said less accurate, as these are always available, or I use the weak form lm (when they are there, as you have already noticed they are not always there, comes also from the equations and the math) Finally always ZIP the models before you upload, you gain 50-80% of volume, and even clear/reset the results only i.e. with a "Solve - get initial value" Have fun Comsoling Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.