Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Have some question about piezoelectric physics,!

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

when I use piezoelectric physics, I have some problem between piezoelectric materials and linear elastics materials.

for example, when I used thermal expansion model of 2 layers (PZT+PT), and compared thermal stress physics VS piezoelectric physics, it has different results, because thermal stress physics - linear elastics material components (2, PZT+PT), but piezoelectric physics component has 1 piezoelectric material + 1 linear elastic materials, I thought,,,,, because when I tested as only linear elastics materials in piezoelectric physics, these results are same,!
It makes different results about stress and displacement about same temperature, even when I use only piezoelectric material's component's, the component does not need some material's properties, ex_E (young's modulus), poisson's ratio.

So, When I want to see proper results in piezoelectric physics, How do I have to do?
is it possible to use piezoelctric material together linear elecstic material?
or when I simulated only solid mechanics model, is it possible to use the result data to piezoelectric
physics's output data?
actually I wanna find.

5 Replies Last Post Aug 13, 2014, 12:30 a.m. EDT

Posted: 10 years ago Aug 1, 2014, 11:31 a.m. EDT
So, what exactly is the problem?
So, what exactly is the problem?

Posted: 10 years ago Aug 1, 2014, 10:15 p.m. EDT
I sent message to you with specific explanation.
Thank you,!
I sent message to you with specific explanation. Thank you,!

Posted: 10 years ago Aug 12, 2014, 7:57 a.m. EDT
Problem is a difference between Piezoelectric physics and Solid Mechanics Physics.

2 layers beam is bent by thermal stress which caused by difference coefficient of thermal expansion
1 layer is piezoelectric material, 1 layer is metal
case 1.
solid mechanics,
I wanna to see physical properties, so I simulated as 2 layer is all linear elastic

case 2.
I wanna check the piezoelectric properties when same situation is happened like case 1
but in piezoelectric physics has piezoelectric component, so if I choose piezoelectric material as piezoelectric component, and metal is chosen as linear elastic material,
then, there is different result, comparing with case1.
maybe case2 does not need E (young's modulus) and poisson's ratio,

so I wanna properly to find the physical effect at each layers when 2 layer is heated.
but case 1, case 2 result is different, that means case 2 stress & displacement and case1 stress & displacement are different, so I can not sure case2's piezoelectric propertise.

So How to overcome this problem??
Problem is a difference between Piezoelectric physics and Solid Mechanics Physics. 2 layers beam is bent by thermal stress which caused by difference coefficient of thermal expansion 1 layer is piezoelectric material, 1 layer is metal case 1. solid mechanics, I wanna to see physical properties, so I simulated as 2 layer is all linear elastic case 2. I wanna check the piezoelectric properties when same situation is happened like case 1 but in piezoelectric physics has piezoelectric component, so if I choose piezoelectric material as piezoelectric component, and metal is chosen as linear elastic material, then, there is different result, comparing with case1. maybe case2 does not need E (young's modulus) and poisson's ratio, so I wanna properly to find the physical effect at each layers when 2 layer is heated. but case 1, case 2 result is different, that means case 2 stress & displacement and case1 stress & displacement are different, so I can not sure case2's piezoelectric propertise. So How to overcome this problem??

Posted: 10 years ago Aug 12, 2014, 9:12 a.m. EDT
I think case 2 is correct, why would it be incorrect?
I think case 2 is correct, why would it be incorrect?

Posted: 10 years ago Aug 13, 2014, 12:30 a.m. EDT
piezoelectric material is also linear elastic material component,

So, piezo layer is also affected by thermal stress,
but piezoelectric physics, there is no consideration about this, bacuase
the result is different comparing with solid mechanics.

So I wanna know exactly solution to solve this problem.,
piezoelectric material is also linear elastic material component, So, piezo layer is also affected by thermal stress, but piezoelectric physics, there is no consideration about this, bacuase the result is different comparing with solid mechanics. So I wanna know exactly solution to solve this problem.,

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.